How many here turn off Audyssey

robc1976

I have used audyssey the past 6-7 years or so, I do the normal tweaks

1. Turn off DEQ 

2. Boost sub (you loose boost from DEQ being turned off)

3. I usually boost center by 1-2Db, surrounds 1-2db

4. Speakers set to small

5. Crossed at 80 htz

Tone controls (deq off)

Bass = +4-5db

Treble 0db

Today I played around with some settings, I turned of audyssey NOT just DEQ (you still retain trim and distance measurements). I then used tone controls bass= +5db  and treble = +3db and my setup came to life, detail like I have never heard, bass is inane. Just overall great sound.

Curious if anyone has noticed this? 

Room:

1. Highly treated room, sound proof fully ect

• Like 1

Rob you have a great setup.  I especially like that you treated the room.  

I'm wondering if you have a measurement microphone and use REW?  

The issues you describe I think can be quantified and fixed/improved really easily, but requires some measurements.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

The issues you describe I think can be quantified and fixed/improved really easily, but requires some measurements.

I have audyssey pro in the works but wondering if maybe if rew would be better....I am sure much cheaper lol

2 hours ago, robc1976 said:

Room:

1. Highly treated room, sound proof fully ect

This might be the problem?  Overly treated rooms sound dead or blunt.  As humans we normally live with some reverb for things to sound natural.  I would be nice to see how the FR and room measure.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

This might be the problem?  Overly treated rooms sound dead or blunt.  As humans we normally live with some reverb for things to sound natural.  I would be nice to see how the FR and room measure.  

Its not crazy treated, its the 1st refections on sidewalls, reflections on ceilings, reflections on front wall. Rear wall if course has absorbtion and diffusion. Corners fully treated with tri-trap bass traps. Its treated but not overly treated, each panel id needed. I agree 100% with you that a lot of people just put panels everywhere and they have a dead room.

1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

I prefer my Heresy 3's without Audyssey. They seem to lose some dynamics with it on. I also had to move the subwoofer trims up a bit after turning it off. 

EXACTLY!  with audyssey the sound seems to loose dynsmics, like its being clipped or toned down. Subs have to be trimmed up since you loose that boost. You will also loose surround volume to. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Looking into REW, so rew just measures room, finds acoustic issues ect, still need audyssey pro to really calibrate it?  Regular audyssey of course wont cut it. 

3 hours ago, robc1976 said:

so rew just measures room, finds acoustic issues ect, still need audyssey pro to really calibrate it?

See the following thread:

I love what Audyssey does for my system.  I use Audyssey Flat (not Audyssey Reference) with no DEQ, which I abhor, in a room treated with diffusion and absorption.  I boost the bass about 6 dB or less, after calibration.   In my room, Audyssey (Flat) 1) increases clarity and detail 2) doesn't affect dynamics (which are considerable) 3) removes peaks centered at 110 Hz, 160 Hz, 550 Hz, 8K Hz, and eliminates dips successfully at 350 Hz, and from about 12K Hz through about 16K Hz.

Rob, have you tried Audyssey Flat, rather than Audyssey Reference?  Audyssey now recommends a somewhat tighter mic pattern than it once did, particularly if you are optimizing one or two seats, rather than many.  Audyssey pro may be less necessary now with XT32 and the new app, if it will work with your AVR/pre-pro.

• Like 3

In general, the experience that I've had with Audyssey is that the company started out years ago with grand statements and "one size fits all" approaches, using far too many microphone measurement positions to make up for inadequate algorithms to take care of all situations.  Over time, I've seen them retract those broad statements and recommend much more conservative techniques.  This is a clue as to how their real life experiences have informed their customer relations. 

Einstein once said that everything should be made as simple as possible--but no simpler.  I think that Audyssey (the company) tried to make things more simple than they actually are.  The basic issues applying to separating loudspeaker issues (including changes in coverage angles vs. frequency) from room acoustics issues, and loudspeaker placement issues within the room are not adequately addressed within Audyssey.  I believe that what they're doing is oversimplifying the total problem space in hopes of getting it "good enough for enough HT rooms out there to be successful" without actually confessing that they are operating without safety nets.  Audyssey still tries to hide the real complexity from the users, but I find that the more knowledge you have about these issues...and having to guess what Audyssey is actually doing (which is an unforgivable sin on their part, IMO)...the better the results. 

In my room with my 5.2 setup and Jubilees, Audyssey MultiEQ XT performs truly horribly.  I really can't convey just how awful the EQ results are after all that microphone moving and waiting around.  It has never worked well enough for me to listen more than a few seconds before turning the resulting EQ off.  Horrible results.  I've tried every permutation and combination in the book to get better results.  Nothing works.

However, I've learned which piece of the Audyssey process that's useful and turn off everything else:  setting channel delays works fairly well.  I've even found that Audyssey's setting of channel gains (loudness of each channel) is actually more accurately done using a hand-held SPL meter at the listening position(s) and continuous pink noise output.  Apparently nothing else in the Audyssey stable of parlor tricks seem to work at all in my room. 

By way of contrast, REW (freeware) works extremely well.   REW shows me what is actually happening, allowing me to separate the issues into separate tasks that actually are solvable--taken individually.

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

In general, the experience that I've had with Audyssey is that the company started out years ago with grand statements and "one size fits all" approaches, using far too many microphone measurement positions to make up for inadequate algorithms to take care of all situations.  Over time, I've seen them retract those broad statements and recommend much more conservative techniques.  This is a clue as to how their real life experiences have informed their customer relations. 

Einstein once said that everything should be made as simple as possible--but no simpler.  I think that Audyssey (the company) tried to make things more simple than they actually are.  The basic issues applying to separating loudspeaker issues (including changes in coverage angles vs. frequency) from room acoustics issues, and loudspeaker placement issues within the room are not adequately addressed within Audyssey.  I believe that what they're doing is oversimplifying the total problem space in hopes of getting it "good enough for enough HT rooms out there to be successful" without actually confessing that they are operating without safety nets.  Audyssey still tries to hide the real complexity from the users, but I find that the more knowledge you have about these issues...and having to guess what Audyssey is actually doing (which is an unforgivable sin on their part, IMO)...the better the results. 

In my room with my 5.2 setup and Jubilees, Audyssey MultiEQ XT performs truly horribly.  I really can't convey just how awful the EQ results are after all that microphone moving and waiting around.  It has never worked well enough for me to listen more than a few seconds before turning the resulting EQ off.  Horrible results.  I've tried every permutation and combination in the book to get better results.  Nothing works.

However, I've learned which piece of the Audyssey process that's useful and turn off everything else:  setting channel delays works fairly well.  I've even found that Audyssey's setting of channel gains (loudness of each channel) is actually more accurately done using a hand-held SPL meter at the listening position(s) and continuous pink noise output.  Apparently nothing else in the Audyssey stable of parlor tricks seem to work at all in my room. 

By way of contrast, REW (freeware) works extremely well.   REW shows me what is actually happening, allowing me to separate the issues into separate tasks that actually are solvable--taken individually.

Chris

100% agree with this, I love rew but finding a 11 channel pre-amp is hard. I think I have no choice but to us audyssey pro since that will plug directly into my Denon 4311ci. I found a audyssey pro for $380.00.

I will also use rew to see what's going on in room ect but use audyssey pro for the curves. I don't think REW is made for 11 channel systems as most pre-amps I have found are 7-8 channels.

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

I love what Audyssey does for my system.  I use Audyssey Flat (not Audyssey Reference) with no DEQ, which I abhor, in a room treated with diffusion and absorption.  I boost the bass about 6 dB or less, after calibration.   In my room, Audyssey (Flat) 1) increases clarity and detail 2) doesn't affect dynamics (which are considerable) 3) removes peaks centered at 110 Hz, 160 Hz, 550 Hz, 8K Hz, and eliminates dips successfully at 350 Hz, and from about 12K Hz through about 16K Hz.

Rob, have you tried Audyssey Flat, rather than Audyssey Reference?  Audyssey now recommends a somewhat tighter mic pattern than it once did, particularly if you are optimizing one or two seats, rather than many.  Audyssey pro may be less necessary now with XT32 and the new app, if it will work with your AVR/pre-pro.

Exactly what I have done, I use audyssey flat, no DEQ turn sub up +6Db. I have done over 200 calibrations at least, have a $500 mic stand. I even have a screw in rear wall so I can attach a tape measure to go get Mic exatly where my ears are. I then put laser on center channel exactly in middle of tweeter and positing mic so laser is on mic.

When doing calibration I turn off TV, HVAC, lights ect. No noise what so ever.  My positions as of now are 2ft apart in the following since I have 3 seats, but adding another row this week

MLP

2nd seat

3rd seat

Then move mic in front of those 3 spots 18"

Then 2 measurements 35% in for surrounds in rear.

Last night I turned it all off and went into tone settings and set the following

Bass +2db

Treble -1db

It sounds world's better, not even in.same league. I heard detail in "tron" that I have never heard, the bass was much tighter. 5 people said with it on the system seemed muffled, all preferred off and I have to agree.

Does it sound good with audyssey flat? It certainly does, can it sound better....god yes!