How many here turn off Audyssey

robc1976

9 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

I rerun Audyssey yesterday again and the had the same noise. No errors, everything went smooth,  but the noise is clearly present...

SOME models of Denon, including my x4000, turn on and off the various amp channels as it calibrates.   Between each speaker you hear a click as it turns off those channels and turns on others.  The amp channels are discrete and thats how it does it.  My older 3808ci does not do this (at least audibly) but the x4000 does.  I believe that is your issue and is normal.  Thr x4000 also does this as different sources come in, just part of how it works.  Even as it goes between programs and commercials and the processing changes i.e. dolby digital to something else...it clicks.  

On 1/20/2018 at 8:40 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

SOME models of Denon, including my x4000, turn on and off the various amp channels as it calibrates.   Between each speaker you hear a click as it turns off those channels and turns on others.  The amp channels are discrete and thats how it does it.  My older 3808ci does not do this (at least audibly) but the x4000 does.  I believe that is your issue and is normal.  Thr x4000 also does this as different sources come in, just part of how it works.  Even as it goes between programs and commercials and the processing changes i.e. dolby digital to something else...it clicks.  

It sounded like a non stop cracking noise and did'n sound like an input or channel switch clicks. According to Denon support it sounded like the microprocessor had some issues and they advised to ran a hard reset. Unfortunately the reset didn't help, so I've exchanged the unit and the new one makes no such noise, it's absolutely quiet between test tones. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dimanata2007 said:

It sounded like a non stop cracking noise and did'n sound like an input or channel switch clicks. According to Denon support it sounded like the microprocessor had some issues and they advised to ran a hard reset. Unfortunately the reset didn't help, so I've exchanged the unit and the new one makes no such noise, it's absolutely quiet between test tones. 

Great news, was reading this but never commented, love when things work out. :emotion-21:

Well I never met the girl but I bet I could turn her off. :huh:

Carry on.....................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

Great news, was reading this but never commented, love when things work out. :emotion-21:

Well I never met the girl but I bet I could turn her off. :huh:

Carry on.....................

ok, let's say I would turn off Audyssey MultEQ. Would you recommend to keep speaker levels where Audyssey set them up or not? Imo Audyssey sounds pretty good, I haven't decided yet if I like the Denon's/Audyssey sound better than the Pioneer/MCACC and prefer the easiest way to calibrate my set up. I'm ok with minor adjustments and turning On and OFF certain things, but I doubt I'll be able to calibrate the system "from the scratch" on my own.

Sorry if it's dumb question. The X2400 has Audyssey MultEQ XT and shows MulEQ XT on the screen while Audyssey set up is running, but after the calibration is completed it shows an option to turn on (or not) MultEQ and shows MultEQ(no XT part) in Audyssey set up section. Is it just a way how Denon set it up or missing "XT" part means that somehow MultEQ XT is deactivated and MultEQ is in use?  

• Moderators

I'm not sure with that unit.

I thought you could have different settings and a way to easily switch between them ? I was going to say run the XT (which is said to be one of the best) and save those settings. I would think there should be another way to switch between different settings without eliminating them. I know on my old Pioneer elite you can switch between a few of these different settings without erasing any of them.

I was thinking run a few different ways and later just switch between them to see what you like best. Can this be done with that model ? I would not think it's all or nothing, I say this because one of my setting is just with the distance/db setting.

But others here have WAY more experience with this than me so I would trust them.

11 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

Id guess then the speaker imputs on the back of thr unit were corroded.  Glad u got it replaced!

9 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

ok, let's say I would turn off Audyssey MultEQ. Would you recommend to keep speaker levels where Audyssey set them up or not? Imo Audyssey sounds pretty good, I haven't decided yet if I like the Denon's/Audyssey sound better than the Pioneer/MCACC and prefer the easiest way to calibrate my set up. I'm ok with minor adjustments and turning On and OFF certain things, but I doubt I'll be able to calibrate the system "from the scratch" on my own.

Sorry if it's dumb question. The X2400 has Audyssey MultEQ XT and shows MulEQ XT on the screen while Audyssey set up is running, but after the calibration is completed it shows an option to turn on (or not) MultEQ and shows MultEQ(no XT part) in Audyssey set up section. Is it just a way how Denon set it up or missing "XT" part means that somehow MultEQ XT is deactivated and MultEQ is in use?  

If you ran manual yes i would use the speaker level and distance settings Audyssey provides.  In fact theres manual mode that does that for you and then does NOT copy the eq filters over.

I believe multieq is on or off, it simply doesnt show the xt part in the screen it may be generic.  

11 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

If you ran manual yes i would use the speaker level and distance settings Audyssey provides.  In fact theres manual mode that does that for you and then does NOT copy the eq filters over.

I believe multieq is on or off, it simply doesnt show the xt part in the screen it may be generic.  

Any tips on what to turn on/off when Audyssey is off?

I've switched Audyssey off yesterday and most of the options got grayed out, I think only Cinema EQ and something else stayed ON.

28 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

Any tips on what to turn on/off when Audyssey is off?

I've switched Audyssey off yesterday and most of the options got grayed out, I think only Cinema EQ and something else stayed ON.

On my Marantz 6011 Audyssey and Manual EQ are mutually exclusive.

If you and Audyssey can't agree on what sounds good, turn Audyssey off and manually EQ to what ever sounds right to your ears.

Between myself and Audyssey, Audyssey is smarter.  Whenever I mess with setting manually and screw up the sound, I break out the calibration mic and Audyssey always restores order.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, wvu80 said:

On my Marantz 6011 Audyssey and Manual EQ are mutually exclusive.

If you and Audyssey can't agree on what sounds good, turn Audyssey off and manually EQ to what ever sounds right to your ears.

Between myself and Audyssey, Audyssey is smarter.  Whenever I mess with setting manually and screw up the sound, I break out the calibration mic and Audyssey always restores order.

Looks like Audyssey has over smarted me as well. :) 

I turned everything off  and spend a few hrs yesterday playing with different settings. At the end, I left Audyssey ON:

MultEQ On Reference Level

Dynamic EQ Off

Dynamic Volume Off

Dialog Level Adjust +2dB

Sub Level Adjust -3dB

Cinema EQ Off

Loudness Management Off

Dynamic compression Off

The manual EQ, I turned Audyssey off and lowered the Xo for the surrounds to 80Hz and kept all other settings as is, sounds a bit harsh and less realistic in some situations, but anyway, turning off most of the "audio nannies" dramatically improved the sound.

2 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

The manual EQ, I turned Audyssey off and lowered the Xo for the surrounds to 80Hz and kept all other settings as is, sounds a bit harsh and less realistic in some situations, but anyway, turning off most of the "audio nannies" dramatically improved the sound.

Your version of Audyssey has more and different options than the low-level Audyssey in the Onk 717 and the higher-end Audyssey in the Marantz 6011.  Glad to hear you are settling in on what works best for you.

When I got my first modern AVR, the Onk 717 in 2014 I was completely overwhelmed with the options Audyssey offered.  Even with the automatic settings it took me about 3 months of constant fiddling to try all the hundreds of different settings and codec combinations to figure out what sounded the best with my speakers and my ears.

I don't fiddle now like I used to, but I have started trying the "Dynamic Volume" setting in the 6011.  I like it better than I thought I would as the sound is very full with the RF-83's for low volume TV watching.

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

i find dynamic eq to be the best feature of audyssey

at lower volumes it boosts the bass and surrounds along a curve to match your hearing

dynamic volume heck no may as well listen to tv sound lol

I'm not saying it's bad, but since I don't watch movies at low volumes, well, I'm not cranking it to the max either, I didn't hear much difference between dynamic EQ On and Off. I'm still experimenting and might turn it On again. Imo turning off Dynamic Volume, Cinema EQ, Loudness Management, and Dynamic compression significantly improved the sound and made it fuller and much more realistic. 

I've watched Geostorm yesterday and with those settings ON a very specific and easily recognizable Gerard Butler's voice and his Scottish accent were anything but his. A taxi door closing sounded like a vault door and explosions and gunshots sounded way too unrealistic. I watched some episodes 4-5 times before I found a proper setting. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

i find dynamic eq to be the best feature of audyssey

at lower volumes it boosts the bass and surrounds along a curve to match your hearing

Kind of sounds like the old "loudness" switch, this does help for low volumes. But may not be safe with high volumes, need to remember to turn it off.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Your version of Audyssey has more and different options than the low-level Audyssey in the Onk 717 and the higher-end Audyssey in the Marantz 6011.  Glad to hear you are settling in on what works best for you.

When I got my first modern AVR, the Onk 717 in 2014 I was completely overwhelmed with the options Audyssey offered.  Even with the automatic settings it took me about 3 months of constant fiddling to try all the hundreds of different settings and codec combinations to figure out what sounded the best with my speakers and my ears.

I don't fiddle now like I used to, but I have started trying the "Dynamic Volume" setting in the 6011.  I like it better than I thought I would as the sound is very full with the RF-83's for low volume TV watching.

Thanks. My Pioneer was 10 years old and even back then it was a lower-mid level AVR. I believe the X2400 is a higher level model and certainly has more options and settings. I'm not done with settings and adjustments and will continue experimenting with different sound modes.  

Codec combination wise, I kept my Pioneer in I believe it called "Standart" mode that would pick the highest available on the disc audio format like Dolby True HD or DTS Master and I think I found the mode that ding the same on the Denon. Actually the Denon has 3 such modes: Direct, Pure Direct and Auto Direct. The rest of the movie modes sound too artificial and unrealistic imo. 

I need to get two small speakers for Atmos channels and then I'll be set up for Doldy Atmos. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

Codec combination wise, I kept my Pioneer in I believe it called "Standard" mode that would pick the highest available on the disc audio format like Dolby True HD or DTS Master and I think I found the mode that ding the same on the Denon. Actually the Denon has 3 such modes: Direct, Pure Direct and Auto Direct.

My Onk 717 also had a Cinema mode and a Music mode for each of the codecs you describe.  The sound was the same but in Cinema the sound was biased to the center speaker for dialog, and in Music mode the sound was sent outward to the L/R as they now came much more into play.

You might think that is not significant but at one time I was trying to integrate Khorns into a 5.1 setup and in Cinema mode I couldn't hear my fantastic speakers!  They blended into the background; not good.  I ended up running in All Speakers Stereo, or just in Stereo mode.  Anything else tended to degrade the overall sound the Khorns could produce.

Question: I know that Audyssey is checking and adjusting a bunch of different parameters, but besides the difference between the manufacturers specs and the way the speaker perform in my room with the rest of the equipment is there another explanation why my surrounds SS-1 that speced at 60-20k Hz are crossed at 150Hz by Audyssey? If I recall correctly MCACC was crossing the same speakers at 80Hz. And looks like unless switch to manual there is no way to lower the Xo point and I know that it's not advised.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Kind of sounds like the old "loudness" switch, this does help for low volumes. But may not be safe with high volumes, need to remember to turn it off.

its brillant engineering actually

if you have seen the curve how our ears hear low frequency with much less sensitvity it follows it exactly

at low volume bass is boosted a lot to compensate for the curve and as it approaches reference it adds less and less until it adds none at reference

same for surrounds.  at -30 the surrounds are normally so quiet you miss the sound from those channels...the surround spl levels are usually lower than the mains so it compensates and reduces the boost as it approaches reference

audyssey works great imo but requires still that the speaker positions and that good test positions are used when calibrating

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1