How many here turn off Audyssey

robc1976

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Doesn't the SPL you listen at affect the calibration?

JJK

only as far as dynamic eq is involved

std audyssey has constant levels from no spl to reference...all settings and eq stay constant

dynamic eq boosts bass and surrounds in an effort to have it sound like reference to our ears at lower volume

with that said some do complain the surrounds are boosted a bit too much w deq

On 1/24/2018 at 12:42 PM, dimanata2007 said:

Question: I know that Audyssey is checking and adjusting a bunch of different parameters, but besides the difference between the manufacturers specs and the way the speaker perform in my room with the rest of the equipment is there another explanation why my surrounds SS-1 that speced at 60-20k Hz are crossed at 150Hz by Audyssey? If I recall correctly MCACC was crossing the same speakers at 80Hz. And looks like unless switch to manual there is no way to lower the Xo point and I know that it's not advised.

Audyssey "thinks" that with your SS-1s, in their current position in the room, and with you (and the microphones) in your current position in the room, the 3 dB down points (F3s) of the SS-1s are 150HZ -- and it's possible that Audyssey is right.  A single 5.25 " speaker is pretty small and lonely.  I've seen quite a few small and single speakers measure at about that F3.   Audyssey rounds up just a bit, to protect your speakers, and avoid low frequency distortion.   With a 150 Hz crossover, most of the impact will come from the sub, anyway.  I'm assuming your main speakers get a lower crossover.  Does MCACC measure the surrounds to determine the 3 dB down point?  Have you moved the SS-1s since you ran MCACC, and before you ran Audyssey?   Surrounds are often skimped on in the design phase.   You could experiment by moving the surrounds around a bit, or mount them on a good solid, large area wall (if they are not already), and re-run Audyssey.

I don't know what your AVR manual is like in its treatment of Audyssey, but many are bad.  This isn't"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled onto this thread while on the forum and had to run up and try turning DEQ and Audyssey off on my system.  A few days ago I finished setting up my four new Full Marty subs.  I then ran Audyssey Pro as usual and have the system mostly dialed in. 

In my case, with a treated room, turning off DEQ does not improve anything.  All it does on my system is remove the bass at lower volume levels.  If I turn Audy off completely, I lose quite a bit of my mid range. 

On my system, Audyssey greatly improves the overall balance of the entire system. I tried both 5.1 material, as well as 2 channel. Both are better with Audy engaged.  I have an Integra DHC 9.9 so have the older generation of Audyssey.  I do however have the Audyssey Pro kit and so have a much better measurement system than the basic which came with my Integra.

• Like 1

I never liked the Audyssey corrections as much as the Yamaha's YPAO.  Maybe it is because I like a lot of bass when watching action films and Audyssey really corrected it with reducing bass output and increasing everything else to get a flat response. It really reduced overall output.  YPAO does the same, but it doesn't seem to be as drastic. Audyssey for music works great, but for movies...not sure.

• 11 months later...

Turned off Audyssey, crossover to 100Hz,manually calibrated distance, and levels to 75dB. SYSTEM PUMPS. I have not been having luck with Audyssey. Movies and Music just sounds awful with it on to me. Especially when Dynamic Eq is on. It just sounds so weird to me. Levels were done with a dB meter and my volume at 0dB. 

I think as a poll the ? is fine. For anything else is all subjective. I use full MultEQ XT32 in one room and its great, does just what I want, much better that without. I don't use it in another because it don't sound better, it's worser. Every room is different, most setups are different, and we all hear what we like different. It's a tool, in a box, to be used as one sees fit. What's great here might not be there. It's pretty simple, if you like it, use it, if not adjust parameters, if not forget it. Because you do or don't is just a preference. I would add that I would rather have a great prepro without than a cheaper avr with.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kshays said:

Turned off Audyssey, crossover to 100Hz,manually calibrated distance, and levels to 75dB. SYSTEM PUMPS. I have not been having luck with Audyssey. Movies and Music just sounds awful with it on to me. Especially when Dynamic Eq is on. It just sounds so weird to me. Levels were done with a dB meter and my volume at 0dB. 

Welcome to the Forum and hope you got it to your liking, but it's hard to troubleshoot with such limited information. There are some that genuinely prefer to set their system up on their own but your results seem it could be an issue with how you ran the EQ program and/or a setting that is affecting your results. 

8 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

but your results seem it could be an issue with how you ran the EQ program and/or a setting that is affecting your results. 

That certainly is a possibility. The op probably ran a few times but it's always worth trying something a little different and checking all parameters. I have run setup before and it was awful. I changed out main speakers once and listened before I ran setup, it was great. Just mess with it, can't hurt if you got the time.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:30 PM, Fish said:

I think as a poll the ? is fine. For anything else is all subjective. I use full MultEQ XT32 in one room and its great, does just what I want, much better that without. I don't use it in another because it don't sound better, it's worser. Every room is different, most setups are different, and we all hear what we like different. It's a tool, in a box, to be used as one sees fit. What's great here might not be there. It's pretty simple, if you like it, use it, if not adjust parameters, if not forget it. Because you do or don't is just a preference. I would add that I would rather have a great prepro without than a cheaper avr with.

... and, you can get a very good prepro with.

Audyssey improves my sound greatly.

Audyssey takes great care and a fair amount of time to set up correctly.  There are many details that must be attended to.  For instance, the microphone must aim directly up at the ceiling.  Almost everyone turns up their sub a bit AFTER running Audyssey, because 1) many recordings have the bass attenuated (see the loudness wars, and especially The Missing Octave by Chris A on this forum), 2) We get used to our bass peaks, and miss them when they are taken out.

IMO, everyone should read this:   "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I always liked audyssey with my older systems, but it changes my new RB61IIs sound so much (for stereo listening) that it's bugging me.

Treble is boosted a lot (and I'm using the Reference curve), and the midrange sounds more aggressive. Soundstage is enormous and the sound is not bad at all, just a bit harsh, but I can post-tone control it back to a good level. Bass is awesome.

I understand if Audyssey changes bass a lot, since my room probably wrecks the bass response (no bass traps or anything like that). But my fronts are positioned in such a way that there are almost no reflections, meaning the treble and midrange should be close to what Klipsch intended. That big of a change on the treble and mid is making me think that I'm not listening to my klipsch's, but to audyssey's own curve (my onkyo 5008 audyssey xt32 has no smartphone app to tweak the curves), which is primarily made with theaters and movie production rooms in mind, not music.

As for dynamic EQ, it's indeed very nice, but the Reference Level Offset thing also makes me paranoid about having the right setting for every source material. I know, I probably have OCD.

I currently have a Yamaha receiver so I run YPAO not Audyssey.

I do use YPAO simply because I feel I don't know enough not to use it. 

My personal preference is setting Dynamic EQ off.  For movies my personal preference is 'standard' mode. For music, the mode I have it on could vary depending on how it sounds to me.