Need help please

Greetings everyone!

I was hoping to get some assistance.  I'm wanting to purchase the Klipsch RP-280F series floor standing speakers. According to the spec sheet, they require 150 Watts at 8 ohms, I'm having a hard time finding a stereo receiver capable of that many watts per channel at 8 ohms.  So I have a few questions.  

Does anybody know what receivers are on the market that produce that much watts at that amount of ohms?  

For those of you who own these speakers, what stereo receiver are you using?

....or, what additional equipment are you using that provide these speakers with the watts they require at 8 ohms?

If I could get answer to those questions it would greatly help me figure out what I need to purchase. These speakers will be a major upgrade for me and I'm wanting to make sure I power them properly.

Thanks!

They DO NOT REQUIRE 150 watts...that is their max rating.  In other words, that is for WARRANTY purposes to NOT EXCEED that Root Mean Square (RMS) wattage.  You can run them just fine on wel under 100 watts per channel amps....even under 50 watts per channel...and they wil likely pull far less than that from the amp at volume levels that will be extremely loud on even the most complex musical passages.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying.  That is good to know that is the max rating and not minimum.

This link below the owners manual of my current stereo receiver that I bought many years ago.  The model number of mine is STR-DE845.  According to page 55, my receiver is capable of 100w per channel at 8oms, am I reading that correctly?  That's at full volume though, right?

https://docs.sony.com/release/strde945.pdf

So if I wanted to buy the Klipsch RP-250S surround speakers, they are rated at 100W max and that is what my receiver produces, so they are at the limit (at max volume).  Am I correct?

Just trying to get a better understanding of all these ratings.  I know you're not supposed to under power your speakers which is why I thought the 150w was the minimum.  What is the minimum watts for the RP-280F's?

Welcome to the forum.

21 minutes ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

So if I wanted to buy the Klipsch RP-250S surround speakers, they are rated at 100W max and that is what my receiver produces, so they are at the limit (at max volume).  Am I correct?

Not completely correct.  Your AVR is rated at 100w/ch@8ohms in stereo(20Hz to 20kHz).  If you were to drive say 5 speakers(left front--center--right front, left surround--right surround) then your AVR would most like only be able to put out a max RMS power(per channel) of somewhere near 65 to 75 watts with all channels driven and that is if the AVR's power supply is up to the task.

In other words, your surrounds would be safe under most conditions.

Bill

Thanks for the replies and helping me out.  I've been doing a ton a research on matching speakers to amps of the past week.

i plan on replacing all of my current surround speakers with Klipsch brand speakers and that will cost me around $3,000.  If I'm going to invest that kind of money on quality speakers I just want to make sure I connect them to a quality AVR that can drive them properly without damaging the speakers or putting stress on the AVR.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out when buying a new AVR is finding one that has a "neutral" sound to it.  

Thanks again for for answering my questions.  Greatly appreciated!!  If you think of any other useful info that might help me, feel free to reply.  

I have a  cheap 100 w Sony  5.1 avr and it did not have a problem with my RF 7's and other speakers.  Movies have peaks that will hit the higher watt rating.  Now in a multi-channel system with a sub and speakers set to small, you should be fine.  When Klipsch are another manufactuer puts a rating of 150-600 watts on a speaker that is a sustained test sometime up to an hour. The amp rating are are similar and not easily translated to a few seconds peak in a movie.

If you listen very loud with the avr at max volume, large room or sit far from the speakers, then you many need a different avr or add and outboard amp.

Thanks.  No, I don't listen anywhere near max volume, not even half, and the listening room isn't large by any means.

i just want to upgrade to a newer receiver to take advantage of the Bluetooth, WiFi capabilities along with network music streaming.  Not to mention maybe some day upgrading my speaker setup to Dolby Atmos and 4K capabilities.  Right now, my current receiver doesn't even have any HDMI input/outputs and can only do 5.1 surround DTS.  Up till now that has served me well, but it's been 15+ years since I've done any upgrades to my entertainment equipment and I think I'm ready for an upgrade and I'm starting with Klipsch speakers, then AVR, and lastly 4K TV as more 4K content comes along.  But I enjoy listening to all genres of music so I wanted to start here first.

3 hours ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

I'm having a hard time finding a stereo receiver capable of that many watts per channel at 8 ohms.  

2 minutes ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Not to mention maybe some day upgrading my speaker setup to Dolby Atmos and 4K capabilities.  Right now, my current receiver doesn't even have any HDMI input/outputs and can only do 5.1 surround DTS.

I am cornfused. Do you want a stereo receiver or multi-channel AVR?

Someone else mentioned "AVR" and I thought it was one in the same.  I want an audio/video receiver.  I've always simply referred to them as stereo receivers but I guess there is a difference.

But yes, I want a receiver that can pass through video as well in at least 5.1 surround audio if not at least 7.1 or 7.2 surround that has modern audio capabilities of Dolby-X and Atmos. In my research thus far, I've read that HDMI connection has the best sound quality, so in terms of watching movies in surround sound, I'd want to pass the audio to the receiver via HDMI and passthrough the video to the TV.  But of course I want to be able to listen to regular music in 2 channel stereo as well.

One receiver I was looking at tonight was the Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 which is technically an AVR.  But nothing indicates if this one is a neutral sounding receiver.  Here is a link.   

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-LX501

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Lord_Beelzebub

I think your on the right track with this AVR.  120w/channel, 2 channels driven, and looks like 80w/channel 7 channels driven.  It should be more than enough for a moderate room size and mid/low listening levels.  The unit your looking at has a ton of features, I believe all of what your asking for, and it may even make you breakfast.  As far as 'neutral sounding' that depends on the listener.  There are a ton of different system configurations with the members of this forum.  For reasonably priced AVR's many use Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, etc.  It really depends on budget and preference.  

Most current AVR's use room calibration software to 'optimize' the sound environment for multi-channel listening, which the one your looking at does as well.  I can't attest to one (calibration software) being better than another, but other member's here with more experience possibly can.  The unit you're looking at also has the ability to EQ each channel manually allowing to really customize the sound.  This process could go into a whole other conversation. 

If possible, I would travel to a local dedicated audio shop (not the blue/yellow place) and see if you can demo different AVR's with the same speaker/surround setup and see if you can tell any difference.  Unfortunately, this also depends on whether the shop has the equipment setup properly.  Anyway, have fun in your search and let us know what you come up with.   

7 hours ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Thank you for replying.  That is good to know that is the max rating and not minimum.

This link below the owners manual of my current stereo receiver that I bought many years ago.  The model number of mine is STR-DE845.  According to page 55, my receiver is capable of 100w per channel at 8oms, am I reading that correctly?  That's at full volume though, right?

https://docs.sony.com/release/strde945.pdf

Just trying to get a better understanding of all these ratings.  I know you're not supposed to under power your speakers which is why I thought the 150w was the minimum.  What is the minimum watts for the RP-280F's?

Just so you know, the maximum power your AVR can put out is 290 W total power.  That's if everything was perfect and there was no distortion nor need for processing power.  It's probably closer to 20-40 W per channel with 5 channels driven.

Don't be fooled by "watts."

15 hours ago, ACV92 said:

Anyway, have fun in your search and let us know what you come up with.   

I will, and thank you to everyone who replied offering me your wisdom and advise, much appreciated!

I know for certain I'm starting with the RF-280F floor standing speakers.  After that I plan on buying the R-112SW subwoofer.  Then the RP-250C center speaker.  Lastly the RP-250S surround speakers.

Hoping to purchase each of those a month apart from each other as I have the money and can afford to.  So I think it will take me about 4-5 month to acquire all the speakers.

In the mean time I'll keep researching AVR's, go to local audio shops and do some listening tests to see what sounds good to me.

If I have any further questions, hopefully you guys will give me further advise.

Question: I watched a couple YouTube videos of people un-boxing their RP-280F speakers and reviewing them and they mentioned they got a good deal from Klipsch where if they bought a set of speakers Klipsch offered a free subwoofer.  Anyone know how often Klipsch offers a deal like this?  I'd buy a set of RP-280F's right now if I could get that sweet deal.  :-)

38 minutes ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Question: I watched a couple YouTube videos of people un-boxing their RP-280F speakers and reviewing them and they mentioned they got a good deal from Klipsch where if they bought a set of speakers Klipsch offered a free subwoofer.  Anyone know how often Klipsch offers a deal like this?  I'd buy a set of RP-280F's right now if I could get that sweet deal.  :-)

The free subwoofer deal was about a month ago, or a little over.  Best way to keep up on their specials is to get on their email list and check the website frequently to see what deals they've got. 

• 4 years later...

I have a question? I'm looking into replacing my oniko s750h to a Yamaha TRS 700 I have 2ea. RP 280 and a RP 450C with a klipsch subwoofer not sure of the model number.  Worried about under powering them. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks 

• 1 month later...

I want to know if i need to get a power amp for my rp280Fa Atmos enabled speakers, rp 450c and rp150m, i see my atmos modules are producing very low sound, and with Tsr700 i am going to 40number in volume to listen descent amount of sound in a small room.

waiting for suggestions.