New member the forum, but I've been reading here for years.

I recently had a pair of La Scalas that came with an extra pair of crossovers.  I passed the La Scalas on, but I still have the extra crossovers. I want to build a pair of Cornwalls.  The crossovers look just like Cornwall crossovers, but there must be some differences.  If you were to put together a set of Cornwalls from mix-n-matched components, which horns, mids, & drivers would you use?

Or would you just build cornscalas instead?

New member the forum, but I've been reading here for years.

I recently had a pair of La Scalas that came with an extra pair of crossovers.  I passed the La Scalas on, but I still have the extra crossovers. I want to build a pair of Cornwalls.  The crossovers look just like Cornwall crossovers, but there must be some differences.  If you were to put together a set of Cornwalls from mix-n-matched components, which horns, mids, & drivers would you use?

Or would you just build cornscalas instead?

Photos of the crossovers?

On 4/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, thedudedoesnotabide said:

I passed the La Scalas on, but I still have the extra crossovers.

Welcome, I'm a fairly new member as well, but figure I'll try to start contributing when I can. The big question I see is, why'd you pass on the La Scalas (size, condition, sound, WAF)? That and answering jimbos question should direct you to what you will build, be it either cornwall or cornscala.

The $0.02 answer for the crossovers is you have AA which are for the Khorn, LaScala and Belle, specifically adding protection for the K-77 tweeter. Cornwall crossovers were type B, B-1, or B-2 depending upon year. Just a note, and it's hard to exactly tell from the picture, but the one on top of the fridge looks to have different capacitors of the oil can variety. I'd agree with jimbos recommendation of selling the AAs, assuming your going the cornwall/scala route, and build new crossovers to go with the new speakers.

If it were me, I'd go with the Cornscala D model and source the parts from Crites. Take that with a grain of salt though, cause I haven't built or heard them. I own La Scalas and have heard Cornwalls though, so I do like the idea of merging the two beasts. I'm sure more will chime in.

Edited by haydukej

3 hours ago, haydukej said:

The big question I see is, why'd you pass on the La Scalas (size, condition, sound, WAF)? 

3 hours ago, haydukej said:

The ones I got were in awful shape, and needed new cabs built, and my wife hated them (she really hates all my speakers).  But the real reason (and this probably won't go over well here) is that they didn't beat out the speakers I was hoping they would replace.  Which a) shocked and b.) greatly disappointed  me, as I was sure they would be phenomenal.  I've had heresies (that also surprisingly couldn't beat out my other speakers).  I've heard Cornwalls (and I know they'll trounce what I have).  I expected the La Scalas to be a step up from the Cornwalls, so I was really let down.  

8 hours ago, haydukej said:

The $0.02 answer for the crossovers is you have AA which are for the Khorn, LaScala and Belle, specifically adding protection for the K-77 tweeter. 

It seems you could just mod the section for the driver and keep the rest the same.

I've never heard a pair of cornscalas either, but there was a pair for $1000 about 6 hours away from me.  I thought about going, but then I'd have had to explain to my wife why I was going to be gone all day long (and I'd have to borrow a truck to bring them home) and I couldn't think of anything to tell her except "I'm going to Missouri to buy another expensive giant pair of speakers that you'll hate".