Need new AVR

neck101

1 hour ago, neck101 said:

I have been able to listen to several manufacturers and have decided to stick with Yamaha.

Solid well thought-out decision.  The group-think does not guarantee you will get the 100% perfect AVR but it just about guarantees you will not get the worst one.

However, I have to confess that I am just a bit depressed nobody picked my beloved Onk, sniff sniff.  :(  And Mr. @teaman, saying that Onks run hot?  The new ones don't.

That's just hurtful.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, neck101 said:

EJC...nice setup you have.  You know, I was looking early on at the 860, but as I did my research, I noticed other folks kept pointing out that the Aventage series of Yamaha was better because they used better parts and built a stronger receiver material-wise.  And then I read that the 860 and below are built the same as the RX-V line, hence the reason for the 1060 being 10 pounds heavier than the 860.  Whether or not this difference equates to a better avr, I can't say.  You obviously are happy with yours, and that's what counts.  As far as the power/features, the two models are essentially the same, and the 860 is $400 less!  Maybe you or someone else can chime in here and discuss the differences in depth.

I agree with you about the frustrating life cycle of the upgrades in these units...reminds me of the car industry.

You nailed the reason I got the RX-A860. I started with the 1060 but couldn't find a big enough difference to spend the extra $400. Frankly, the salesman didn't try to push on the 1060 either. He understood what I was doing and felt the 860 would fill the bill

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Solid well thought-out decision.  The group-think does not guarantee you will get the 100% perfect AVR but it just about guarantees you will not get the worst one.

However, I have to confess that I am just a bit depressed nobody picked my beloved Onk, sniff sniff.  :(  And Mr. @teaman, saying that Onks run hot?  The new ones don't.

That's just hurtful.

The old ones got hot enough to cook your bacon and eggs on....lol!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Remember that dodads, codecs, 5.1 to eleventy 14 changes always, YOU must buy the latest.
Get a set of nice speakers that you can afford (they will be replaced later)

Get a solid 5 channel amp (it will not NEED replacing for years) if you get the itch for 7/9/17 channels later add more amps (cheaper cause those channels don't need the bestest
Now get ready to buy last year's or 2 generations ago pre pro processor that has the "drive off the lot" loss of value.

Speakers and amp good to go for many, many long time all you have to do is spend on processor when you want.

I had to laugh as I read you comment (I do not mean this as an insult). How things have changed. 

The old rule of thumb used to be put your money in the speakers, you'll be replacing the electronics.

• Like 1

I was happily using my RX-V750 that I bought in 2005, but I wanted to get HDMI and some other new features, so I got an RX-A2060 last August, and sent the 750 to the bedroom.

The RX-A2060 really impresses me.  The sound is definitely improved, especially when watching TV.  The AVR is able to sense the incoming signal and set itself to the proper decoder automatically.  When I select HDMI 2 for the TV, the AVR switches to SUR. DECODE  and the surround sound does what it should, meaning the dialogue and main sound comes from the front speakers, while applause on talk or comedy shows comes from the rear, as it should but rarely did with the RX-V750.

Although I'm using a 6.1 setup, the extra channels mean that the power supply is big enough to easily supply the channels that are actually in use.  Since the main front speakers are powered by a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amps, the AVR is powering just the front and rear centre speakers, plus the side surround speakers, so there's lots of headroom.

Having Airplay comes in handy when I want to play YouTube videos without turning on the TV, since I can do it from my iPad.  It also makes it easy to use the iPad as a music server.  As well, there's a Yamaha control app that you can download to your tablet or phone, which makes setup and operation easier than using the AVR's remote.

I could go on about how the ESS DAC's improve the sound of CDs, and how there are lots of other cool features, but you get the idea.  The RX-A2060 has been a great upgrade to my system.

5 minutes ago, EJC said:

I had to laugh as I read you comment (I do not mean this as an insult). How things have changed. 

The old rule of thumb used to be put your money in the speakers, you'll be replacing the electronics.

And really that was my intent to say.

In the world of Klipschism I would say we buy nice but at some point want go bigger and bigger and....

Amp is good for a long long time.

Processors "update" faster than I change underwear.

Mike,

You think like me.  And thanks to your post, I went back and looked up the previous year's model, the 1050.  I had not even considered it, and it looks like it is basically the same as the 1060, has the features I want, AND is $300 cheaper!  Only problem is Crutchfield does not stock it any more.  Decisions, decisions!  I'll check Amazon.

• Like 1

Sorry for cutting in, I have a receiver related question too and couldn't find another fresh AVR thread to ask.

What do you think about Pioneer Elite SC-63? I know it's an old model released in 2012 and most of the reviews are very positive. The seller wants $400 and don't budge on the price, imo it's about $100 more than it worth. I understand that the SC-63 is a few steps above the Pioneer I have and not concerned about the sound quality and features, the only thing it's missing is Atmos capability, but even if I'm gonna go Atmos, it might take another 3-5 years, I more concerned about its reliability and price.

I also like an Elite VSX - 43, the seller wants only $200 (sims more than reasonable to me), but I'm not impressed by only 80w per channel rating.

Would you buy any of them or should I wait a bit and get a new Atmos ready lower grade, but 140W per channel Elite 980W that presently goes for $450?

7 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

but I'm not impressed by only 80w per channel rating....

but 140W per channel Elite 980W that presently goes for $450?

You're looking for the wrong thing, and looking at the wrong spec.

Most AVR's are going to be between 15-80 WPC all channels driven.  Very few scrape 100.  ALL of my setups are running at 80 WPC or less (generally 60) - and I think I can count on one hand how many times I've probably needed more than 15.  The issue is clean power, not quantity of.

• Like 1

^ I know that "on the label WPC" is just a marketing stunt and most avr's deliver 40-60% of of their paper WPC when all channels driven. My current avr rated at 2x110 WPC and 5x110 WPC per specification, but similar models were bench tested at 45 WPC and usually I don't go over 50-60% of the volume, but sometimes I go higher and cuz I want to avoid clipping, I want something with more WPC.

2 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

I want something with more WPC

Maybe something with the "unlimited" headroom as your Luxman R-117?;):emotion-21:

If you like the sound of your Pioneer, but want more headroom, then maybe consider the lowest Pioneer model that has either stereo or multichannel preouts and add one of these.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169986-power-amps/

Bill

2 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

My current avr rated at 2x110 WPC and 5x110 WPC per specification

Your current AVR is only rated at 250 Watts total power, it's a long cry from the 550 necessary to be 5x110.

amp.thumb.jpg.2a545efc1221a841e2486b6c5a1b8da1.jpg

I want something with more WPC.

It takes 2x the wattage for a 3 dB gain, so if you really are getting 110 WPC (which is impossible), you'd need 220 to hear a difference.  An AVR will not provide this.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:00 AM, neck101 said:

Mike,

You think like me.  And thanks to your post, I went back and looked up the previous year's model, the 1050.  I had not even considered it, and it looks like it is basically the same as the 1060, has the features I want, AND is $300 cheaper!  Only problem is Crutchfield does not stock it any more.  Decisions, decisions!  I'll check Amazon.

If you're still considering the Yamaha RX-A 860, I just spotted a couple of refurbs on NewEgg.com for $695

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 9:49 AM, willland said:

Maybe something with the "unlimited" headroom as your Luxman R-117?;):emotion-21:

If you like the sound of your Pioneer, but want more headroom, then maybe consider the lowest Pioneer model that has either stereo or multichannel preouts and add one of these.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169986-power-amps/

Bill

Paired with a set of Chrorus ll the 117 sounded great, but unfortunately had only 2 channels and no HDMIs. :)

A good 5 channel AMP cost as much as a very good AVR- at this moment this option is not on the list.

On 4/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, IbizaFlame said:

Your current AVR is only rated at 250 Watts total power, it's a long cry from the 550 necessary to be 5x110.

amp.thumb.jpg.2a545efc1221a841e2486b6c5a1b8da1.jpg

It takes 2x the wattage for a 3 dB gain, so if you really are getting 110 WPC (which is impossible), you'd need 220 to hear a difference.  An AVR will not provide this.

What brands (more or less common and affordable) are the most honest abotu WPC? I've heard Elite and Harman and the rest are not.

Just now, dimanata2007 said:

What brands (more or less common and affordable) are the most honest abotu WPC? I've heard Elite and Harman and the rest are not.

I haven't heard honesty from either of them.  I don't recall what they spec'd my AVR354 at.

Emotiva was the first brand that gave me an honest to God specification on WPC - 65 WPC all channels driven, 130 WPC into 2 channels in Class A/B at 8 ohms.  I've seen that Cambridge Audio also does this, as does Arcam.  In general, I've found - if they market in box stores, they're probably full of hot air.