Bookshelf Advice

ddfunk

Hello fellow Klipsch nuts !! I'm looking for some advice/opinions on bookshelf speakers.  Looking for front porting options as my placement options are on limited to the Built-in Cabinets left and right of fireplace wall.  Rear ports firing back into the cabinet wouldn't sound the best I'm guessing .I Looked at the RB 82 , series 1 or 2. , Also considered the Heresy.. Im trying to come close to floor standing performance in a bookshelf.  My center is a Pro-6504-L-THX mounted into the front of my hollow  fireplace mantle .I Mostly listen to music/concert videos.  Thanks in advance !!

• Moderators

I have owned RB61 , RB35 and RB81ii.  I'm not exactly sure what it was about them but to me I really liked the RB 61 the best. They have a great sound and a very good amount of base for a smallish bookshelf speaker

• Like 1

I would go with the Heresies personally. They are not much bigger than the RB 81 and you get the pleasure of three way drivers. I really like the definition of the Heresies although I suggest a sub or two to round out the lack of bottom end. I have the RB 81's and they do a fantastic job with clarity plus a nice amount of bass, my RB 35's sound very nice as well  with less of a footprint. Are you planning on running a sub in your set up? That may determine what would better fit your needs. Since Klipsch has the RB 61's on clearance you really can't beat $329 a pair for what they have to offer.

Tim 

19 hours ago, ddfunk said:

My center is a Pro-6504-L-THX 

If you plant to keep that center, maybe consider the KL-650-THX.  They match, plus they're front ported.  Reference and THX doesn't play all that nicely together in my opinion.  One is colorful and the other is flat.  I've put THX surrounds in a Reference system, they didn't blend well at all.  Only problem is they don't dig all that deep, you can't skip a sub.  Otherwise, Heresy would blend with THX better most likely.  

Thanks for the reply's!!! its awesome to get more info and opinions to make better decisions!! ... I do have subs I failed mention .. dual SVS SB13 Ultra's .Also SVS ultra surrounds.. I have to keep the center as is as its in the face of the Mantel.   I chose that model more the dimensions than specs as I had limited options with where I had to place it ( probably not the best approach in system design ) and thought I can't really go wrong with Klipsch !  Ive owned countless klipsch speakers over the last 30 years.. Still have my Cornwalls i bought new in 86' !! as well as a few other gems ...Was trying to blend Movies and quality 2.2.channel audio into one system.. ha ha . This all started when I downsized and moved into a smaller place a few months ago.. Wish I had a dealer close I could hear the THX and RB81 for comparison as well as the new Heresy... 

if you have dual sb13s you will want more than just a pair of rb61s. you could do multiples 

you have way more subwoofer than you need for the rest of the system

the cornwalls with those dual 13s would be a better match volume wise. no idea on what center would work. 

think out your whole system before you buy more. you have a lot already and now it's about tying into something functional 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 2:05 AM, ddfunk said:

Hello fellow Klipsch nuts !! I'm looking for some advice/opinions on bookshelf speakers.  Looking for front porting options as my placement options are on limited to the Built-in Cabinets left and right of fireplace wall.  Rear ports firing back into the cabinet wouldn't sound the best I'm guessing .I Looked at the RB 82 , series 1 or 2. , Also considered the Heresy.. Im trying to come close to floor standing performance in a bookshelf.  My center is a Pro-6504-L-THX mounted into the front of my hollow  fireplace mantle .I Mostly listen to music/concert videos.  Thanks in advance !!

What about getting RB 61? For me Herersy is much bigger. A pair of 61 would be perfect since it power on bass the sounds clarity is pretty decent. I am not good on comparing something, but this one really looks promising to look for more details.