Receiver

Charles M

For now I am using a  receiver and would like to upgrade . Would like to know if anyone used or has a Pioneer SC-99 Elite ? If some knows about this Receiver what's your play on it ?

buy both, tinker, return one

stores like best buy are great for this if you have a hard time deciding. each has a different sonic signature. have to figure out what you like. marantz sounds similar sr5011 and up, the pioneer i have not played with but pioneer historically sounds better the more you spend. 

13 minutes ago, Schu said:

I could be wrong... but the Marantz is built around a toroidal class A and the Pioneer is built around a Class D... big difference.

If I'm not mistaken, most, if not all, of Marantz's AVR line are built with EI transformers.  Until you step up to the MM8077 amp and upper level AV8802A separates.  Some of their Hi-Fi and reference components have them (Torodial).  I believe the last Marantz AVR that had a Torodial transformer was the SR8002.  I feel like they've started leaning towards 'accessories' versus Marantz performance in their AVR line.  I have a couple of old Marantz AVR's that I still use.  Copper plated chassis and torodial transformers. 

23 minutes ago, charles m said:

So the pioneers a lot better than Marantz then ? Class D is better ! 

Not necessarily, have you heard Class D? I very much prefer the Class A/B sound myself. I have never been a fan of Class D, G, or H. At least to my ears they sound artificially loud and tinny. Before diving into something you haven't heard I would go to an A/V dealer and hear a couple of each, then make a decision.

Tim

• Like 1

Here's a shot of an SR7011 taken from Amazon, top of the line Marantz AVR, definitely not a Torodial transformer, no copper chassis.  Schu's picture is of the internals of an AV8802A preamp, torodial and copper.  My old SR8400 is a torodial and copper chassis.  That's what I meant by Marantz is driving features vs. design in their AVR's, as compared to the older models.

61tsb4F3WJL.jpg.5ca0959235bba87e6d15a4bbd8bb2c45.jpg

Doesn't the class D run less hot ?

I went and  listened  to the  pioneer 

SC-99 it sounds 100% better towards the Onkyo   TX -NR 747 that I shouldn't of  purchase . Yes I need to go the hear the 

Marantz also ..... thanks 

For the most part, as others will correct me where I'm wrong, Class D amps are good for power but not as much for fidelity.  Class A/B amps will provide a better overall sound quality from my interpretation.  In other words, a sub amp will be relatively good with a Class D as you don't need quite as much precision as the upper frequencies yet need the horsepower to drive the low range.  The low Hz are only slightly more forgiving to where a Class D would be suitable. 

When looking at a multi-channel receiver I would consider an A/B over a D.  I would go listen to a Marantz and some others, compare it to the SC-99, and if you find yourself benchmarking every other receiver against the SC-99 you may have found your AVR.  Good hunting...

• Like 2

A lot of the old Class D amps where used for bass duty because they did not have the fidelity of some on the non-class D amps.  That is going back at least 10 or more years.  Today Pioneer Elites avr's have excellent fidelity.  Efficiency goes to class D and for a dual purpose avr, that is an edge for class D.  Because they run cool, electrolytic will last longer, they have great mult-channel power and offer a ton of features.

I also have tube gear and the class D does not take a backseat in fidelity.  As far as separates, the newer Elite avr's house the preamp separate from the amp portion delivering a more pure audio signal.  Some people when using multiple subs, need a device to increase the signal for the subs to work and get enough power to drive them.  This is not a problem with the Pioneer Elite avrs.  In the end, listen to multiple avr's and then make a decision.  All the different brands have their fans.