Hey yall sitting in the dark

USNRET

So we live in a one street subdivision fed by overhead lines a block away to buried lines along the street. Our little group of 4 houses mid way down that street is power non gratis at the moment. Me, next door left and two across are dark all others are up. Power company outage call and the gent tells me that wind and storms may have taken a line down by limb breakage. Now i ain't an electrician but i do question that telephone troubleshooting since all the houses from me to overhead lines have power.

Yep i have a portable generator that i could plug in to my service but it's pouring and i do understand the risk to linemen even with feeder breaker off. 

Wife unit can i now buy a whole home proper generator. 

I have ice, mix and booze. No tunes.

Neighbor 4 houses down drove by and explained some leg imbalances. He doesn't work local but in in the industry. Saw a power company truck drive by on the main road and went to chase them down. We are good until the laptops and phones die since not one of my family members have their external power packs charged. They aren't getting mine.

15 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Why not get a proper transfer switch / essential load panel so that next time this happens you can fire up your generator without back-feeding dangers?

Option yes. Multiple panels / sub panels. Which one (s); short term vs longer-term? Portable generator out in the driving rain or whole home. We are surrounded by corrosive salt spray so any outdoor equipment lasts no time. Hard to justify slight inconveniences vs $$$ to replace generator for whole home. Air conditioner units corrode out in 6 years for instance.

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

I have ice, mix and booze. No tunes.

We haven't had A/C since the end of last month. 10 year old evaporator coils rotted out to the point of expelling nearly all the refrigerant for a 3 ton system.

Amazing really. Top of the coil pack looks mint (no dust even) whereas the bottom inch looks like it was sitting in battery acid. A brief warm spell into the 90's last month and we noticed the compressor kicking offline due to a pressure fault.

Oh well. Techs finally have the replacement part and will be in next week to perform the repair. Thankfully we can "handle" 82 in the house, but I don't like tempting fate with our pantry. :wacko:

11 minutes ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

We haven't had A/C since the end of last month. 10 year old evaporator coils rotted out to the point of expelling nearly all the refrigerant for a 3 ton system.

Amazing really. Top of the coil pack looks mint (no dust even) whereas the bottom inch looks like it was sitting in battery acid. A brief warm spell into the 90's last month and we noticed the compressor kicking offline due to a pressure fault.

Oh well. Techs finally have the replacement part and will be in next week to perform the repair. Thankfully we can "handle" 82 in the house, but I don't like tempting fate with our pantry. :wacko:

I won't even need A/C for a couple of months yet.  It was snowing yesterday morning.  We're still in the low 30's in the mornings and getting to the upper 40's to low 50's as a high.  We got a little hot today, I think we hit 58.  My lab has helped promote the corrosion of my coils.  He likes to 'fire hydrant' one of the front corners.  When we get a new A/C unit I will also be installing a 'distance' barrier to keep this from happening again.  He's getting older so hopefully his pressure levels are not the same as they used to be..

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

Option yes. Multiple panels / sub panels. Which one (s); short term vs longer-term? Portable generator out in the driving rain or whole home. We are surrounded by corrosive salt spray so any outdoor equipment lasts no time. Hard to justify slight inconveniences vs $$$ to replace generator for whole home. Air conditioner units corrode out in 6 years for instance.

Man, all this "back it up with 6k worth of whole house generator" and such.  Maybe 10 years ago I'd think the same thing.  Right now, I'm thinking fire up the kerosene lamps and simply enjoy the quiet and reflect on a kinder, simpler past.

Dave

20161125_213318.jpg

Aladdin.png

• Like 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

Are you on the old refrigerant?   If you are you are going to be in for a shock what they are getting a pound.

47 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Are you on the old refrigerant?   If you are you are going to be in for a shock what they are getting a pound.

If Quiet_Hollow's is 10 years old there's a good chance it's R22.  They quit using it in production in 2010.  They switched to 'safer' R-410a that's a movement from CFC refrigerants.  That's what I have (R22) and I've talked with a few places and they said it would be about $2,500 to install a new pump, coils, lines, etc.  It would cost me more to repair the one that I have.  I don't know why the keep changing refrigerants.  There's always a trade-off safer here, more dangerous there. 

They've done it in automotive too.  R12 was the standard for years and they moved to R134A.  I sold 30lb cylinders of R12 for about a $100 to shops.  About a year and half later, it was $700 for a 30 lb cylinder.  Cars are now using R1234yf, EPA likes it, supposed less greenhouse gases, but there is speculation that when released via a leak in the system it's more volatile and potentially toxic. 

I've spoken with a few OE techs that are a little nervous about repairing these systems. The volatility factor being the foremost concern.  But rest assured, Honeywell and Dupont say it's safe.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the patents they hold and the ramp up in production they've had.  So, in the next few years it may start costing even more to fix the A/C in your pre-2015-2014 rig. 

Sorry to soapbox, it's planned obsolescence and greasing the fat hogs at it's finest.  Didn't mean to lean off topic, USNRET I hope you get your power back soon.  I do like Mallette's suggestion.  When we lose power we usually fire up some candles and whip out an old board game, or two, to pass the time with the kids.