Hey yall sitting in the dark

USNRET

We had lost power a few years ago and it was out about 5 days.  Once you start to do without all the things you take for granted your basic needs start to go into panic mode in terms of what you are missing.  Maybe it's air conditioning, maybe it's the ability to heat food on the stove.

For me, it was ice.  I CRAVED ice and I really missed it.  I was like an addict getting his fix when emergency services finally delivered a ten pound bag of ice to everyone in our neighborhood.

Who knew?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Last house a/c install cost $55 / lb. Home warranties only cover $10 / lb.

At least you had a home warranty that covered a portion of the repair.  I'm out of pocket 100% when stuff breaks around my house.  Luckily it's not haunted.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

At least you had a home warranty that covered a portion of the repair.  I'm out of pocket 100% when stuff breaks around my house.  Luckily it's not haunted.

Actually they never covered it. They were supposed to but never got around to authorizing repair. After months of fighting, several BBB complaints / counter complaints and daily updates on their facebook page I got $500, my warranty cancelled (at my request) and a refund for the 3 months of premiums.

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Actually they never covered it. They were supposed to but never got around to authorizing repair. After months of fighting, several BBB complaints / counter complaints and daily updates on their facebook page I got $500, my warranty cancelled (at my request) and a refund for the 3 months of premiums.

Well then there's that........................................

1 minute ago, totalcomfort said:

I own a HVAC company and found that most of the home warranty contracts are junk. Most of the time they fight the repair, or they want it done dirt cheap instead of correctly.

I have dealt with 3 warranty companies and none were worth a crap.

YEP!^^^^^^  Although with the same warranty company my house in GA has been taken care of several times of the last 14 years (in all appliance matters) and yet the TX contractors and the associated warranty clearing house SUK.

1 hour ago, WMcD said:

To say the obvious:  a car cell phone usb charger can be helpful.  I have never used an inverter but can only image one culd keep your laptop charged.  WMcD

I've used inverters a number of times doing (literally) field support, connecting varied computing devices, charges & such; on occasion, have even hung a power strip from the inverter so I could connect desired number of things.  they work reasonably well.  for the most part, you get what you pay for.  my last one that I charged to the company was I think a Stanley brand from a big box home supply store, and has served well enough.  a nice little thing to have around.

and good luck on restoration of your electrical.  a real pita sometimes.  other times, only a smaller pita, more of an inconvenience.