LaScala K-77 square magnet tweeters dead on arrival

Hello everyone! 

I just recently purchased a pair of LaScalas and it ends up as my guy was going through them to veneer them he found out that not one, but both tweeters were dead! Weird huh? He's going through and testing them now. He says there is no continuity for the tweeters and reading 0 ohms on the meter. He said that the square magnet tweeters are "valuable" and says that its not hard to put a new diaphragm in them if thats what would fix them. Ill be honest and say I only kinda understand how speakers work and have no idea what this all means :(. What would you recommend doing? I personally would rather just replace them since that just seems easier at this point. I don't really want to bother the seller with it since its been past 30 days and its my fault for not having the guy hook them up before hand. What do you guys recommend? Would anyone be interested in the square magnet assemblies? If this is not the right place please feel free to move it! 

Thanks,

Graham

Tech mods is the right forum.

+++

If a tweeter reads 0 on the meter, that means the tweeter is dead.  It strikes me odd that both would go out at the same time, but others will weigh in opinions as well.

+++

I suggest you DO contact the seller.  Not in a confrontation way, but in a way you are trying to diagnose a problem.  If he says the tweeters were OK when he sold them to you, it helps so you can try to figure out happened next.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Not at all.  You're not going to find OEM replacement diaphragms.  I'd get a couple of CT-125's from Bob Crites.

This thread is moving fast and my original post is already obsolete in terms of finding the problem.  It sounds like we are in to finding the solution.

You have urged him to find some Crites CT-125's.  Is is worthwhile for Graham to consider some used ones?  I don't what the market is for those.

Hey Jim, 

They are currently out in Pittsburgh PA getting re-veneered. He called me and said they were dead, then sent me a pic of what looked like (to me :( ) a tweeter assembly reading 4 ohms. Then when I asked he said they were spares of different speakers he had around his house. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

So the consensus is to just drop it and buy new tweeters, Ill be honest I was kinda looking to upgrade but was told to listen and wait and see if you like the originals first. 

Oh Well :D 

44 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You have urged him to find some Crites CT-125's.  Is is worthwhile for Graham to consider some used ones?  I don't what the market is for those.

125's are slightly cheaper and go for about 100 used.  I just bought a used pair so yes, I'd recommend used.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

120's are slightly cheaper and go for about 100 used.  I just bought a used pair so yes, I'd recommend used.

Carl, new 120's are more expensive than 125's., not the other way around.

I think the 120's are a better unit.