La Scala II plans and driver/crossover list

jeff

New to the forum. I have searched and been a bit confused about building some DIY La Scala II speakers. I have found some plans but no listing of drivers, crossover parts, etc. Need a little help here. Thanks....(go easy on the newbie)

Is there La Scala II plans? And a driver/parts list?

I don't recall a LSII specific plan, however there are LSI plans in several threads. There are a few differences that stand out between the two however I think the internal dimensions are very similar. You can infer much of the outer dimension by using th LSI plan and adding the extra material to the outside. There are details about these differences buried in threads so you will have to search. Searching la scala plans yielded over 100 results. As for the networks the schematic is listed with all of the other networks in one of the sticky threads. 

Search 

K77

K55

K33

K401

That should supply you with plenty to read.

if you're building, you can incorporate the K510 into the top and make it a 2-way (and go active)

At the same time, you will get a lot better coherence from the 2-way setup and a lot 'larger' (not necessarily louder although it can do that too) sound.

(not my speaker but they did a nice job)

JubeScala II.JPG

I understand (from HDBR -ex Klipsch employee) that the LSII only used 1" mdf on the sides, top and bottom of the bass bin and the doghouse is still 3/4" as in the LS.  I don't recall if the back board is 1" but don't think it is.  HDBR can probably answer that.

I just finished a set of LS using 1" BB ply throughout and had to make adjustments.  If what I said above is correct you can just add 1/2" to the width of the bass bin and mid/high top (keeping the same internal dimensions of the bass horn.  I assume you will use 1" thick ply/mdf on the top section to match the bass bin ?

The AL-4 crossover is in the pinned list crossovers on page 4.  As Larry said, it is more evolved.  The bass part is not particularly complicated but the mid and treble parts are much more complicated than earlier models. 

You'll note that overall the more modern crossovers for the K-Horn, LSII, and Belle all have a strong family resemblance. 

WMcD