Theater update and question

customsteve01

Here is the latest on the upstairs Theater.  Trying to get everything finalized and set up sort of as a dry run before we paint the room.  I have the LaScalas as mains and for right now a KG5.2 as a center, (until I can get or make a split LaScala) R-12SW sub, and RB-61II surrounds.  Here is the question, looking at the room set up would rear surrounds be any benefit and if so what suggestions would you make as where to put them and what to use.  The room is 14W X 17L with the pan ceiling.   

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Photo Feb 26, 10 02 39 AM (2).jpg

Photo Feb 12, 10 06 59 PM (2).jpg

• Like 3

That's a nice looking setup!  I do like what you did with the rears.  I should have thought a little more outside the box.  I 'reverse frenched' my R-5650-S surrounds as below in our little HT.  I do like the in wall rack setup behind your viewing area.  Nice work!

58eec3793c4d8_LeftRearR-5650-S.thumb.jpg.9d78d99f6ff813dbd07ba68ebb48bfe3.jpg

• Like 1

@customsteve01 - If your considering surround back I think that one way to do it would be to add them just above the transition between the wall and the ceiling.  This would give you more placement options as far as width.  Plus, with the slight angle down towards the listener it might make them a little more 'audible'.  If you could flush mount them and paint the grills the same color as the wall they wouldn't jump out as much.  It would still give focus to the decor on the vertical spaces.  I'm not the foremost expert, by any means, so my suggestions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

1 minute ago, ACV92 said:

@customsteve01 - If your considering surround back I think that one way to do it would be to add them just above the transition between the wall and the ceiling.  This would give you more placement options as far as width.  Plus, with the slight angle down towards the listener it might make them a little more 'audible'.  If you could flush mount them and paint the grills the same color as the wall they wouldn't jump out as much.  It would still give focus to the decor on the vertical spaces.  I'm not the foremost expert, by any means, so my suggestions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

I actually was thinking that and possibly going with inwall or in ceiling and just painting the grills the same color as the ceiling.  Just not sure what speaker to use. 

Even though I read it in your original post, I just realized that your rears are RB-61's in a custom mount.  I thought that was an in wall.  Cool.  I chose the R-5650-S in wall for the dipole tweets, 6.5" woofer, and flush mount capability.  I didn't have room for a truly enclosed speaker.  I had to build a 3/4 enclosure, no back, out of 3/4" MDF due to some restrictions I found after I cut the initial mounting hole.  If you go with an in wall I would suggest either of these:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-in-wall-speakers#r-5650-w-ii

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-in-wall-speakers#r-5650-s-ii

They would be similar to your RB-61's.  I have the RB-81's as mains, RC-62 as center, the R-5650-S as surrounds, and an SVS 20-39PCI as the sub.  My HT room is small so I didn't need anything larger than this.  Anyway, I've enjoyed the R-5650-S pair and haven't been disappointed when cranked up.  Hope this helps.

It looks very doable to me.  Move the beautiful custom side surrounds forward a foot or two and in wall mount back surrounds at same height in back wall.  I would lower side surrounds just a bit so they arent at ceiling (bounce of ceiling is main undesirable bounce there).   Good setup for back surrounds...couch is off the wall.