New user, old klipschorns

RayRay

Hello

I recently dug my 1977 oiled walnut klipschorns out of storage after 25 years. The cabinets were still in great condition but the crossovers & drivers had seen better days. After digging around a bit on here & other web sites, I decided to go with Bob Crites AA crossovers, cast frame woofers, ct120 tweeters & the A-55g mids.

Here is my question..... what would the value be of non functional khorns versus khorns with the above upgrades($1200)? I was wondering if I might enjoy them for a couple of years & then sell them for $5-600 more than they would bring today just as cabinets only?

Thanks to everyone for sharing in this awesome community as I really enjoy all the information.

Ray

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with @dtr20 above.  Whether to upgrade or not is for your immediate user benefits, not as an investment.  As to speculation of future investment returns, you might try Tesla stock if you believe the company is actually worth more than Ford Motor Co, but I don't recommend that either.

On 4/13/2017 at 3:16 PM, RayRay said:

I recently dug my 1977 oiled walnut klipschorns out of storage after 25 years. The cabinets were still in great condition but the crossovers & drivers had seen better days.

I would start with the premise that the cabs are NOT OK.  Even in storage the finish would have dried out over time.  I suggest a mild cleaning then rejuvenate the finish.  Others can weigh in with just the right magic elixir.

Tweeters:  I'm not so sure they are bad.  Try them first and see how they sound.

Mid:  Same with the K-55-V.  If it sounds OK it is OK.

Woofer:  Unless there is physical damage such as dry rot I see no need to replace the woofs.

XO, Type AA:  Those can be upDATED for $100 if you like.  Many people like the smooth sound of the Type AA.

UPGRADES:  Your list looked pretty good so it's clear you've done your research. 

I won't comment on each component but I will say if you spend the $1200 for upgrades your old components are still worth some money, especially in working condition.  Sell the old parts off to recoup part of the cost of upgrades.  That is a good way to go and you will have good sound you can enjoy for some time to come.

Stock factory condition almost always is the fastest seller, while many here would pay extra for the Crites upgrades, 90% of the public will be less inclined.

Do it to enjoy them yourself, don't get too hung up on what they may or may not self for at some future date.

• Like 1

Unless damaged, there is no reason to replace the original drivers.  Do replace the original capacitors. 

The new squawkers and tweeters are supposedly an Upgrade, though I've never heard them.  I do like my Eliptrac tweeter horns and DE120 tweeter drivers. 

I rebuilt a pair of 1976 Khorns last year. If you're handy with a soldering iron Bob Crites will sell you an upgrade kit for your crossovers - if not then he can rebuild your old ones for you. Or, as you have mentioned you can simply buy new AA crossovers. 

With the squawkers you can rebuild them with new diaphragms from Bob Crites. With the tweeters Bob mentioned that he hasn't found a replacement diaphragm to the original specification, I ended up buying new tweeters. Mind you, the original ones might still be OK. 

I agree with others, unless the woofers are damaged they're likely just fine and can be used again. 

Best of luck with your rebuild project!

Stephen