RP-280 vs RF7II

Pfarinelli

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Since the higher frequencies typically are more directional, Morel is likely trying to put more sound through the tweeter because it is pointed more and closer to ear level.  This will allow several things, more of the sound coming from tweeter crossing lower to reduce the problem of crossing over to the mid-woofer which is much lower and not directed at the ear thus loosing the upper mids.  It will also allow for better blending based on distances between the drivers.

This would be similar to the reason I believe the RF7 II dropped the crossover to 1200hz.  Better blending of the woofers to the mid/tweeter.  Having the RP280 crossover up at 1750hz or so would have some issues crossing over to two 8" drivers that are not equal distance from the tweeter.  To me the RP280, if using that high a crossover would have been better executed as a D'Appolito configuration like the CFs.  It would have allowed the speaker to sound more open and forward in the midrange, more three way-ish.

Pfarinelli,

Very nice system.  You have three ways to get bigger/better sound, better amplification, run your subs (establish a better blend for 2 channel listening) or larger/better speakers.

When you think about receivers, the main reason people pick them is for the features, not the power and sound. Notice 90% are over 100 watts per channel and they are selling for $199.... It's cool to have a receiver that is so complex you don't use 1/3 of the features let alone need them.  I believe that is what you are paying for until you get very high end (all those licensing fees add up :o in commodity items).  As for the drive and power, with many manufacturers the assumption is that power is handled by the subwoofer so you can probably skimp and still claim 100watts.  My opinion is that is why a lot of receivers will not spec 4 ohm speakers.  

If you are going to do a lot of music listening, start with the fundamentals, high quality front ends, great amplification, and above all good speakers.  Build based on the premise into your home theater.  

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Since the higher frequencies typically are more directional, Morel is likely trying to put more sound through the tweeter because it is pointed more and closer to ear level.  This will allow several things, more of the sound coming from tweeter crossing lower to reduce the problem of crossing over to the mid-woofer which is much lower and not directed at the ear thus loosing the upper mids.  It will also allow for better blending based on distances between the drivers.

This would be similar to the reason I believe the RF7 II dropped the crossover to 1200hz.  Better blending of the woofers to the mid/tweeter.  Having the RP280 crossover up at 1750hz or so would have some issues crossing over to two 8" drivers that are not equal distance from the tweeter.  To me the RP280, if using that high a crossover would have been better executed as a D'Appolito configuration like the CFs.  It would have allowed the speaker to sound more open and forward in the midrange, more three way-ish.

Pfarinelli,

Very nice system.  You have three ways to get bigger/better sound, better amplification, run your subs (establish a better blend for 2 channel listening) or larger/better speakers.

When you think about receivers, the main reason people pick them is for the features, not the power and sound. Notice 90% are over 100 watts per channel and they are selling for $199.... It's cool to have a receiver that is so complex you don't use 1/3 of the features let alone need them.  I believe that is what you are paying for until you get very high end (all those licensing fees add up :o in commodity items).  As for the drive and power, with many manufacturers the assumption is that power is handled by the subwoofer so you can probably skimp and still claim 100watts.  My opinion is that is why a lot of receivers will not spec 4 ohm speakers.  

If you are going to do a lot of music listening, start with the fundamentals, high quality front ends, great amplification, and above all good speakers.  Build based on the premise into your home theater.  

Emotiva has a 7 channel amplifier that is 4 ohm capable it provides 80 watts to all 7 channels ( 8 ohms) or 110 watts ( 8 ohms) while running 2 channels. Reasonably priced at $599.00. This may solve my amplification issue.

Thanks for your reply.

3 minutes ago, Pfarinelli said:

Emotiva has a 7 channel amplifier that is 4 ohm capable it provides 80 watts to all 7 channels ( 8 ohms) or 110 watts ( 8 ohms) while running 2 channels. Reasonably priced at $599.00. This may solve my amplification issue.

Thanks for your reply.

Why not invest in a good 2 channel amp just for the fronts?  Doing Emotiva, go XPA.  Higher quality and more drive than the 7channel.  Use the other amplifiers in the receiver for the other channels (if you will use your receiver as the preamp).

9 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Pfarinelli,

this makes a lot of sense. thank you for thinking that through. the RF7 analogy was great. it's as a mention one of my favorite klipsch speakers ever and one thing that stood out with it was how well it blended.