Newbe Center Channel Questions

Oldnavycdr

I stumbled on this site from another forum I've been scouring.  I am upgrading my modest HT setup from a Polk RM6750 satellite system to something a bit more robust.  I purchased a set of KB-15 Icons which were on sale and while I understand this line was not well received these are certainly an upgrade from the Polks.  My current AVR is a older Denon 590 which will get an upgrade to support my new 4K Samsung TV.  An ongoing room renovation will include a pair of Yamaha 3 way in-ceiling surrounds.  The Polk sub will suffice for now but will get an upgrade.  My current focus is on a center channel.  And here are the questions:

1.  Klipsch seems to have produced a significant number of center channel models in various price ranges.  Some lines ported in front, some in back, some unported.  Sonically, what is the difference?  There seem to be a number of models, both new and used in my price range ($200 or below).

2.  How important is it for the center channel woofers size to match those of the bookshelf speakers?

3.  I have come across several used models that I'm considering:  RC 3, RC250, RC 52, R-25C, R-25C.  I have not found a K-25.  Of these various options what might you knowledgeable Klipsch owners suggest and why?

Thank you for whatever guidance you can lend this new Klipsch fan.

Welcome to the forum. Please allow me to call your attention to the RSX series line of speakers. A little self-serving in that I have a 5.0 system for sale in the garage sale section here. Do not know the size of space you are filling but, do some research if you want to. There is some, not all to be found in a search on klipsch.com.

Thanks!

Thanks, Billybob!  I checked these out.  Nice system but for now all I require is the center channel.  My room is pretty large (deep with 14' cathedral ceiling) so I probably need something a bit bigger.  I don't usually push the volume unless it is a great action movie but never at reference levels.  As for the search, I figured it out and have been pouring through many posts.  Sure is a lot of good info here.  Just a bit hard to get it narrowed down.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Oldnavycdr said:

1.  Klipsch seems to have produced a significant number of center channel models in various price ranges.  Some lines ported in front, some in back, some unported.  Sonically, what is the difference? 

Main difference is the application in which you will be installing it.  Front ported allows you to place inside an entertainment center with much better results. 

12 hours ago, Oldnavycdr said:

2.  How important is it for the center channel woofers size to match those of the bookshelf speakers?

Not important.  Most Klipsch systems do not have matching woofers.  For example, RF-7 have 10" woofers while the matching RC-7 has 8" drivers and this was Klipsch's flagship.  The current RF-7ii have 10" woofers while the matching RC-64ii has 6.5" woofers.

12 hours ago, Oldnavycdr said:

I have come across several used models that I'm considering:  RC 3, RC250, RC 52, R-25C, R-25C.  I have not found a K-25.  Of these various options what might you knowledgeable Klipsch owners suggest and why?

RC-3 and RC-52 are "ok"....never was very impressed with them myself.  I have not heard the RC250.  The RC-62 is a MUCH better center than the RC-52.  Here is one for $160 - Link.  If the seller would be willing to ship it.  Granted it will not be voice matched to your icon but here is the bigger question you need to answer....what is your end goal?  Figure out where you want to get to and move towards that direction one piece at a time as deals pop up and funds become available.  I recently found a Klipsch RF-7, RF-3II, RC-3II, Denon 391 & Polk Audio Sub system for $400 for a friend.  Trust me.....deals like that can be found...I've had my share of them on numerous occasions.  You just have to be patient, continually watching Craigslist and have some money set aside so that when those deals come along, you have the means to purchase.

• Like 1

For the apparent size of your room, Both KB-15s might make an adequate center channel.  Having all 5 of the basic surround channels the same is optimum.  for a while, I had La Scalas for rear channels, too.  It was IMPRESSIVE!  I just didn't have enough room for chairs.  LOL!

Porting or not and port position has no direct impact on the sonic character of the speaker system.  Ports are used to get lower bass in a smaller cabinet. 

For a big room, consider multiple subwoofers.  You'll get more even bass through the room and less distortion because each sub is not working as hard (lower cone excursion).  You may even be able to get more output with multiple smaller subs for less money. 

You will never be disappointed with the RC62 II. They are fairly large and fill a room with ease. They are also incredibly neutral, to the point they seem to work very well with nonmatching speakers. I am now using Ohm Walsh Tall 2000s (about as different from Klipsch in design as you can get), my RC centre works flawlessly with them. They can be had new in the box pretty reasonably, quite a few still floating around.