HDMI VS OPTICAL AUDIO

DUANE GAZZIGLI

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF SETTING UP A NEW AV SYSTEM AND AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE REGARDING HDMI VS OPTICAL FOR AUDIO CONNECTIONS. I AM CONNECTING BLUE RAY TO A YAMAHA RX A3060. IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO EITHER CONNECTION?  I DON'T HAVE ANY LIMITATIONS AS FAR AS THE CONNECTION. JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE BEST FOR AUDIO PLAYBACK.THANK YOU.

HDMI is going to handle HD audio formats, such as DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, and the like.  It will also support the Atmos and DTS:X formats.  Optical will only handle up to DTS:ES and Dolby EX.  You won't get HD audio formats out of TOSLINK.

Based on your purchase of the 3060, half of the features would be unavailable if you use TOSLINK.  Stick with HDMI.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, DUANE GAZZIGLI said:

PERFECT, THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE. I AM AN OLD SCHOOL AUDIO GUY AND AM JUST NOW GETTING BACK IN THE GAME. OPTICAL WAS ALWAYS THE BEST BACK IN ITS DAY. SO MUCH HAS CHANGED.

read and study. it won't take you long to figure it all out again

the other thing you need to watch for is what's called HDCP 2.2 if you get a 4k TV. 

• Moderators
On 4/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, IbizaFlame said:

Optical will only handle up to DTS:ES and Dolby EX.  You won't get HD audio formats out of TOSLINK.

Thanks, I did not know that, my old receiver couldn't do the newer formats or HDMI so it made no difference, but that will change soon and that info will be helpful.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, IbizaFlame said:

HDMI is going to handle HD audio formats, such as DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, and the like.  It will also support the Atmos and DTS:X formats.  Optical will only handle up to DTS:ES and Dolby EX.  You won't get HD audio formats out of TOSLINK.

Based on your purchase of the 3060, half of the features would be unavailable if you use TOSLINK.  Stick with HDMI.

+1. DTS-MA and True HD are bad a.s, you don't want to miss them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It looks like someone going to Hope for the Pilgrimage is bringing me a used AVR with HDMI and the newer sound formats.

I really need it even if I don't watch many movies, we have the BR player and 4K tv and good multi channel speakers but the receiver is behind. I'm thinking the more updated receiver will have us watching more movies, hopefully with a little better sound going to all the forte's.

• Moderators

If for some reason the receiver don't work out that's good to know, never thought about that even though it's like what I am doing now.

Right now I have the BR player going into the receiver with the 6.1 inputs on the back of the receiver, one of the reason I got that BR player years ago. With movies I just press the button that is a direct input from that connection but it eliminates everything on the receiver except the amp and volume controls, so the sound is really being run by the BR player. The BR player being used is a Samsung from when BR first came out and probably not as good or up to date as a newer Oppo for use like this ? Something else I will need to check to make sure it has the latest sound formats for BR.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, dtel said:

The BR player being used is a Samsung from when BR first came out and probably not as good or up to date as a newer Oppo for use like this ? Something else I will need to check to make sure it has the latest sound formats for BR.

@willland has a BD Player for sale that you might consider -