Another Cane Grill Story...

Endo

I've got recently acquired 1983 Cornwalls with their original cane grills... But they need help.

The cane seems intact--no breaks--but is pulled/shrunk so tightly on one of the grills that its curled beyond useable. I'm considering making a press that will gradually flatten them over several weeks; with the grills sandwiched between damp towels (not wet) or maybe occasional misting with a water spray bottle. Once the press is completely flat, I would remove the towels (or stop misting them) and let them stay pressed until they dry out.

I'm guessing they won't be perfect, but might flatten enough that the velcro will once again hold them on. The grill frame (is it plywood?) might be the most difficult part.

I'm concerned the moisture, over time, may cause the cane to release from the edges of the frame--does anyone know what kind of adhesive was used? Or maybe I'm wrong about the cane slowly stretching under the right conditions?

• Anyone know why this might be a bad idea?

• Is there a better solution to this problem?

• !! Also, does anybody know if the Cornwall III Special Edition uses linen for the grill fabric? The photos on the corporate site sure look like the unprimed, Belgian linen I'm used to seeing used for stretched canvas used by fine-art painters. Curious. That would be an easy fix. Just order the linen from Utrecht. What is it that makes some fabrics sound-transparent and others not? Or are most fabrics a safe bet for sound transparency?

cane-3.jpg

cane-1.jpg

cane-2.jpg

Edited by Endo
Added one more question.

it naturally occurs on most all large cane grills as it shrinks slightly over time... specially so if it's not already flat or in place on the motorboard.

I have not done it, but I do think that SLOWLY humidifying will flatten the out if done in combination with some weight and flat surfaces. I don't think I would use a towel myself, I think I would use a fine mister and do the procedure slowly several times until the desired effect is achieved. using a wet towel would seem to be to much for the natural fiber which has a tendency to water stain already... using a lite misting over time might alleviate any "pooling" of moister.

you'd probably need to consider an inert material for the weight surface so there is no transfer of color or textural alteration to the fabric itself. a piece of wood might "bleed" coloration... a piece of metal might rust if has iron content.

• Like 1

^ Good points, thank you. I think I'll press them against white melamine covered hardboard to avoid discoloration. Contemplating a steam box, like the ones used to steam-bend hardwoods. Wouldn't have to be elaborate, just a case to contain steam. I'll leave an update if I discover anything worth sharing.

How about placing a t-shirt over the grille, then using a steam iron to iron it flat? The t-shirt protects against the direct heat of the iron, and is a trick used by many home sewing enthusiasts including myself. I'd start with the lowest steam setting on the iron and work up from there.