Klipsch Home Theatre Setup 5.1

kfree321

I want to get the best setup for my money so some input would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a 5.1 setup with Klipsch RF 42 II fronts, RB 41 II for rears, KMC for center, and SWV for Sub.  I am running it on a Sony STR DHH550 receiver.

I want to get a new center speaker.  My question is whether I should get either a Klipsch RC 42 II center speaker or a RC 62 center?  The 42 II would be new, and the RC 62 used (like new condition).  Both are available at the same price of $140.  Does the series II make a big difference?  It looks that way when you see it reflected in the prices online.  Also, the rest of my setup is series II.

If it matters I am in the South Jersey area.

Again, thanks for the input.

• Moderators

I've owned several Series I and Series II (RB-81 & RB-81ii), (RS-62 & RS-62ii) and my ears could not hear a difference.  I will say the original RF-7 and RF-7ii sound different in the high frequencies, the bass sounds the same.

With that said, if it were me, I would get the RC-62 as it is a MUCH better sounding speaker than the RC-42II.  With that said, the woofers look different (bronze vs copper) and the RC-62 is not voice matched to your mains.  Typically bigger = better when it comes to Klipsch.  Bigger sound, more dynamics etc.  If you are anything like most of us here, you will eventually find yourself upgrading to larger speakers so the RC62 will only push you in that direction sooner.  LOL.

I'll let other guys chime in with their opinions. 

Thanks for the input Youthman.  Wow.  Those pictures really show the difference in size.  It's normal versus mini-me

I was able to listen to the RC-42 II in store, but have never heard the 62.  I guess my only other concern is if I should be worried about the center speaker completely overpowering the two smaller RF 42 II sides? 

Or would that be a good thing?  I'm kind of new into this so again thanks for the comments guys.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry about it overpowering the mains, if your receiver has auto calibration, it will balance out the levels.  If you don't have a receiver with autocalibration, pick up a RadioShack Analog SPM meter and manually balance the levels.

• Like 1

You will be happy with either.  The 42 matches your set... that is hard to pass up but the 62 is bigger and you will probably like it more.    the series will make little difference.  appearance matters too....get either and be happy.   what is a KMC

It's about a two hour drive for the 62 or free shipping for the 42.  We'll see how I feel, but might go the lazy route with the 42 shipped to my door.

Robo, It's a Klipsch KMC center speaker.  There isn't that much information available online.  I picked mine up locally on Craigslist is South Jersey.  From what I can find, every KMC speaker after the original KMC is Bluetooth enabled.

If you do a quick search on Ebay there is one available for about $100 shipped.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kfree321 said:

It's about a two hour drive for the 62 or free shipping for the 42.  We'll see how I feel, but might go the lazy route with the 42 shipped to my door.

It's not about being lazy, I wouldn't drive 4hrs for an RC-62 either.  See if the seller would ship it to you?

Get the RC-62.

I had a few different smaller center speakers for a while and never complained about my center just because I never tried a bigger one. Then I got a RC-62 and immediately understood how much I was missing. The RC-62 and 62II have identical specs, so you wont hear any difference (correct me if I'm wrong). 

My previous smaller center speakers were XO'd at 80Hz, but the RC set as Large and is not XO'd (I know that I'm in the minority here, imo it sounds much more realistic that way) and there is no way any smaller speaker could've give me the same ability and the sound.