Need help on bi amping

I have the 280F powered by an adcom power amp hooked up to A1050 Av receiver. I'm not sure how to go about it.

-Do I get a smaller amp for tweeters and more powerful amp for woofers?

-How would Interconnect to receiver once I bi amp?

-Could I use my current power amp to bi amp? It has six channels. Which I'm using four to mono my mains.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To properly bi-amp you need to have an active crossover to bypass the crossover network in the tower.  You also need a configuration that will regulate the high frequencies and split them from the low.  Towers really don't do much with this, any change or difference is arguable at best - with the vast majority of it being placebo effects.

Are you not getting what you want out of your 280F's?

2 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

Yes, Yamaha. It does support it but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want to blow anything.

It's a simple option in the menu to set bi-wire/amping to on.  As far as I know there are no additional settings on the RX-A or any other AVR though.  That's why I'm skeptical of the whole "bi-amping off a receiver."  Never did anything for me.  At any rate, give it a go...maybe you'll find something new to share with us.

You won't blow anything as long as you turn bi-amp on in the menu and ensure the jumpers are removed.

• Like 1

To properly bi-amp you need to have an active crossover to bypass the crossover network in the tower.  You also need a configuration that will regulate the high frequencies and split them from the low.  Towers really don't do much with this, any change or difference is arguable at best - with the vast majority of it being placebo effects.

Are you not getting what you want out of your 280F's?

I have them bi-wired and I did notice a small significance in the highs. Not day And night. I'm pretty happy with how they sound right now. I was just wondering if bi amping would sound better. I have them powered by an adcom power amp. The crossover detail confuses me. Do I need to buy another crossover? Would it even be worth bi amping. From your experience? The yammy does have a bi amping mode but that's for when you use the surround back Channels for bi amping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From my experience, you probably have as much detail as you're gonna get out of them regardless if you switch them to bi-amp or otherwise.  True bi-amping requires an outboard active crossover that allows you to manage the crossover points.  That's not built into any AVR that I know of.

That being said...they're towers.  They have 2 8" woofers and a 1" titanium tweeter...not really what I'd worry about bi-amping.  If we were talking RF-7's, perhaps...but I'm not sure I'd even bother then.  There's just certain things that are more hassle than they're worth.  Is it worth the extra hassle to get you another small fraction of SQ?  Most cases - realistically - it probably isn't.  But that's all relative.

If you're happy with bi-wiring and want to try it in a bi-amp - go for it.  It's not going to hurt anything other than running more wire.

• 2 weeks later...