BI-Amp Cables Needed / Suggestions?

Prowlinger

If I remember the subwoofer crawl correctly , put the sub in your main listening position and then go around the room to listen for where the sub sounds best,Once you find it place the the sub at that location :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

You might get some cleaner sound if you bypass the crossover network in the speaker, but I'd be skeptical if an AVR could handle that appropriately.

My Onk 717 AVR 7.2 also has a specific setting in the menu for bi-amping.  It does work for mid-range articulation, but it is subtle.  You really have to have a critical ear to hear a difference,

The manual tells you how to do the plumbing but it does NOT tell you what the electronic mechanism is.  I would like to know the XO, how it divides the power, etc.  I have asked "the Internet" on a couple of different sites and all I get is a guess, nobody has a definitive answer.

I can "guess" too, but that doesn't help.  What amazes me is that NOBODY knows and Onkyo isn't telling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

My Onk 717 AVR 7.2 also has a specific setting in the menu for bi-amping.  It does work for mid-range articulation, but it is subtle.  You really have to have a critical ear to hear a difference,

The manual tells you how to do the plumbing but it does NOT tell you what the electronic mechanism is.  I would like to know the XO, how it divides the power, etc.  I have asked "the Internet" on a couple of different sites and all I get is a guess, nobody has a definitive answer.

I can "guess" too, but that doesn't help.  What amazes me is that NOBODY knows and Onkyo isn't telling. 

I had a Yamaha that did this too, and both of my Fusions do it now.  But there's no legitimate setting that gives me any kind of indication that it's been appropriately configured, nor does the sound appear any different.  I still stick by the placebo effect, and opt to take those channels to mean I need more speakers...we always need more speakers, right?  Right?

• Like 1

Just now, IbizaFlame said:

I had a Yamaha that did this too, and both of my Fusions do it now.  But there's no legitimate setting that gives me any kind of indication that it's been appropriately configured

That's what I'm saying, the ONK has a very specific internal setting for bi-amp, there IS a setting.  You have to change the settings in the AVR with the menu if you're physically changing the cables from the terminals on the back panel.

Maybe it sends different crossover signals, maybe it sends more power.  Who KNOWS (not guesses)?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

It doesn’t take any special cable to connect for passive biamping.  Just use another set of cables like the first.  I could tell you that bundled biamp cables puts the hf and lf magnetic fields too close in proximity.  Some believers claim separating the hf and lf magnetic fields is one goal of biamping.  I am not a believer in magic cables.  Amplifiers are voltage sources.  Separate speaker sections impedance, current, and power are the same whether driven by one amplifier or separate amplifiers.  Passive biamping doesn’t increase amplifier power, it divides the speaker impedance, current, and power between separate amplifiers.  Passive biamping retains the passive crossover.  The passive crossover impedance separates the high and low frequency current.

2 hours ago, IowaPaul said:

It doesn’t take any special cable to connect for passive biamping.  Just use another set of cables like the first.  I could tell you that bundled biamp cables puts the hf and lf magnetic fields too close in proximity.  Some believers claim separating the hf and lf magnetic fields is one goal of biamping.  I am not a believer in magic cables.  Amplifiers are voltage sources.  Separate speaker sections impedance, current, and power are the same whether driven by one amplifier or separate amplifiers.  Passive biamping doesn’t increase amplifier power, it divides the speaker impedance, current, and power between separate amplifiers.  Passive biamping retains the passive crossover.  The passive crossover impedance separates the high and low frequency current.

The original post was made three years ago and the original poster hasn't visited this site since then.

What's up with all these old posts being brought back from the dead lately anyway?

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:13 AM, wuzzzer said:

The original post was made three years ago and the original poster hasn't visited this site since then.

What's up with all these old posts being brought back from the dead lately anyway?

yeah, well, it's topics to chat on.
Not to mention what is being talked about here is BI-WIRING, not bi-amping.