Crown XLI1500 a modern day staple?

jwc

I wanted to start another thread.  

So I have the XLS versions and have been happy.  I also have some very expensive McIntosh amp too.

So here is a Question....mainly to JW.  Others can jump in.

1.  Is the topology and what you consider "many innards" of this XLI1500....basically have the same benefits as the other XLI models.  Is there a reason you picked that one.?  I had given consideration to buy a couple of XLI800s.

2.  Is the XLS versions the same with a basic DSP?

3.  Sonically, would you say the XTI versions are the same but with more DSP features.  Or are there some "analog amp" benefits too?

4.  Lastly, why are the I-techs so expensive?  And would the new Macro Techs be like an XLI but with beefed up "analog" features.

These may be ridiculous....but I didn't know how to ask.

jc

• Like 2

I have not seen the complete list of DSP options but, both amps are very similar.  A slight not to the Class D XLS series in terms of power.  Weight is also an advantage of the Class D amp.  Sound quality, they should be basically identical.  I know some people prefer analog power but, with current class D tech, I see no benefit other than the desire to lift heavier amps.

The XLi are CL-A/B.  The XLS are PWM with DSP.  I can't comment on XTI.  In XLi the power rails are sensed and switch (high/low) based on demand.  I think the XLi 800, 1500 and 2400 share the same amplifier board, the difference is the power supplies.  Two fans provide cooling, fan speed tracks output.  Handles balanced or unbalanced inputs, the input sensitivity can be adjusted on the fly with rear panel slider.  In terms of amplifier topology, small signals are processed by cascaded op-amps to (eventually) develop the error signal which drives the transconductance, voltage amplifier and power output stages, all complementary.  The error signal is sensed for clipping and triggers, when present, front panel LED. 

The Macro-techs are different, use CL-I developed by Crown. The design intent was quiet, kW amplifiers with ultra-high fidelity (comparable to your McIntosh monster) the difference being that you can carry one under your arm.  That makes them an engineering challenge and something of a no compromise design which drives cost.  It's up to others to tell you if they meet those objectives.

• Like 1

This helps...thanks.

Makes me wonder what a "sound" comparison would be to use the XLI800 for home audio (unbalanced) compared to stereo amps of today in the similar price range from marantz, rotel, emotiva, audiosource, etc.    

I had some PLX2 before.  They are nice.  I could hear the fans though....not bad.  There also isn't the unbalanced option (at least officially).

I have a pair of the XLS2502.  The fans are very faint.  For sub duty.  Using the RCA inputs w/o a hitch.

10 hours ago, jwc said:

Makes me wonder what a "sound" comparison would be to use the XLI800 for home audio (unbalanced) compared to stereo amps of today in the similar price range from marantz, rotel, emotiva, audiosource, etc. 

Could speculate all day.  Home audio and pro sound are different customers so the design tradeoffs differ.  Adjustable input sensitivity, clipping indicators, signal indicators, rail switching, balanced inputs and speakon connectors are "must haves" for pro sound setup but just "nice to haves" for home use.  At same price target, eliminating these provides more budget for better home amplifier design (at least in theory).  

23 hours ago, jwc said:

Do those brands even offer much at the average price of a XLI800 ($230ish)?  I have had Emotiva and for the price of the Crown d45, I found the Crown to be a better sounding amp.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Do those brands even offer much at the average price of a XLI800 ($230ish)?  I have had Emotiva and for the price of the Crown d45, I found the Crown to be a better sounding amp.

Yes, so buying even a new amp in the same price range such as this......

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10450/Power-Amplifiers.html?tp=48757&pg=1#&price=180-350

or this

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=8#filter:ss_price_min:300:400/filter:ss_price_min:200:300

3 hours ago, jwc said:

Like you I have the Crown XLS2505, which has the 12volt trigger and silent fan with basic dsp.  I haven't tried it with my mains, but am curious how it sounds.   What concerns me about the XLi is that it has dual fans and no option for 12volt trigger.  So at that price range, it may not hurt to try the contenders you listed.  Question is, would one drop an extra $100 on a brand such as Parasound over Russound since they may know the name more.

What I found is that the home audio amps have more resolve and bring out the micro details better.  Crisper top end.

The pro amps have the power and the better tighter bass.  Lacked micro details on top end.

This was a few years ago though before these newer Crowns.

A compromise we have known about is to use McIntosh which can do both equally well and that also interface well with both pro and home equipment.  Cost more, yes.  But can use the older ones and still do well for sound and cost.

I have not tried my Crown XTS "in stereo".  Never occurred to me to try that after tests from years ago.  Just use for subs as you know.  I would not expect it to have the resolve of my rebuilt MC-2100s.

Maybe I should try?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Like you I have the Crown XLS2505, which has the 12volt trigger and silent fan with basic dsp.  I haven't tried it with my mains, but am curious how it sounds.   What concerns me about the XLi is that it has dual fans and no option for 12volt trigger.  So at that price range, it may not hurt to try the contenders you listed.  Question is, would one drop an extra $100 on a brand such as Parasound over Russound since they may know the name more.

Are you using an adapter of some sort to use the trigger on the XLS?  Can we get a good picture?

1 hour ago, jwc said:

Are you using an adapter of some sort to use the trigger on the XLS?  Can we get a good picture?

I am not, I was under the impression that, that is what it is for.  However I just got off of the phone with Crown tech and was told that it is designed to hook up a relay of some sort to put the amp to sleep and wake it up.  Sorry for any confusion, however I do use a niles ac3 for 12 volt triggering with great results.

Some measurements.

From bottom to top. plot is %THD at 100, 1000, 5000, 10k, 20k from about 1W to a little over 100W. 

The analyzer sampling is 192kHz.  20kHz test is hard test for amps to evidence numbers lower than say .5% at low power levels.  The trends shown with power and frequency are typical.

CH2_8J_100_1k_5k_10k_20k_%THD.jpg