Crown XLI1500 a modern day staple?

jwc

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 8:05 AM, John Warren said:

Here's the schematic I used.

XLi1500 120V Schematic.pdf 196.79 kB · 14 downloads

Hi my friend! i've been reading all you've written about the xli and its operation. I really appreciate it. I would know if you can give me a hand with a little issue. I have the xli3500, and it blowed up.  I was able to get all the transistor (NJW0302, NJW0281, MJE15032, MJE15033) but it was impossible to get the mosfet AOT472. I can get the mosfet IRF1607, that is appropiate on Pd, Rds, VGS, VDS, but i don't know if it's good enough in capacitance and this other parameters related to the conmutation. What do you think? Thanks!! Greetings from Argentina

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, Biscu said:

Hi John, amazing things i see here, for a newbie like me ... I have a Crown XLi1500 and I want to make it a better home hifi amp for my tower speakers Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7.  I like the drums/bass to be fast, articulate, punchy ... I hate low, slow bass woowing in my ears ... and seems XLi1500 might be a nice budget solution :)

In a previous post you said: "If there's one place where this amplifier can be improved is the power supply"

Please tell me what do you recommend regarding this subject?  the filtering caps? some 4 x 12000uf/63V Nichicon will be an improvement?

(replacing those 4 x 10000uf/63V RM)

Thank you for your time! 

P.S. Already noted the 2 coupling capacitors to be replaced with Nichicon Muse 10uf/25V ... are to be more of those needed to be replaced?

Hello biscu,

Did you end up upgrading your xli 1500? If so, which caps etc did you upgrade, and to what?

best

anders