What is this Amp?

thebes

Thanks. CJ's usually don't look like this.

Found some info about it online:

Conrad Johnson MV75 A1 75w X 75w Upgraded Tube Amplifier. 75 watts per channel.

It comes  quad matched GE 6550 output tubes but this amp has a light indicated bias adjuster built in for each tube, no real need to buy matched sets!

The MV75 broke new ground in tube amplifier design by featuring a built in bias indicator circuit to simplify bias adjustment for the tube output stage-a task that must be performed whenever output tubes are changed, and periodically as they age. Earlier tube amplifiers required additional test equipment and technical expertise to set the bias for the output stage-a daunting task for many owners. The MV75 included a built in LED bias indicator for each output tube requiring only a screwdriver to accurately set the bias. This arrangement made it a simple matter for owners to keep their amplifiers operating at peak performance. All subsequent conrad-johnson tube amplifiers have included this built in bias indicator.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I think the estate sales people know what they have, since it was the first picture in their ad for the sale.  Not to mention all the collectors in this area.  I do think I will go to the sale.  Not working that day and because there is also a Scott preamp, a Mark Levinson ss amp and other stuff.

Who knows maybe I'll find a bargain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thebes said:

sales people know what they have

Ah, good point Bes.

That is kind of a "Heads up" going in, you got to be there, Ya-know that.

However, knowing what we do about the impending sale, if i were you id bird dog that house right now, get a couple "C" notes in hand and possibly score.

41 minutes ago, thebes said:

Unfortunately I think the estate sales people know what they have, since it was the first picture in their ad for the sale.  Not to mention all the collectors in this area.  I do think I will go to the sale.  Not working that day and because there is also a Scott preamp, a Mark Levinson ss amp and other stuff.

Who knows maybe I'll find a bargain.

only if it has a service history, $400 all day long no history. 

• Like 1

Well you gotcha yourself the first day price and you gotcha yourself the last day price at estate sales; just went thru that with Mom's stuff. You want it on the first day then dicker and buy. You want it cheap then hope it's still there the last day. After last day the estate sale "company" pays to haul everything to dump from their 30-40% profit on what sold.

17 minutes ago, No.4 said:

those cardass binding posts look pretty fresh

You noticed that Too? good eye!, Cardass was not around when that was in production.

I think if the refurb guy had this kind of feel for quality, likely the innards are freshened up too. 

5 minutes ago, minermark said:

I think if the refurb guy had this kind of feel for quality, likely the innards are freshened up too. 

Yeah, I agree. It looks too clean and updated to not have been loved. If it stays in the reasonable price range it could be a really great find.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No.4 said:

Yeah, I agree. It looks too clean and updated to not have been loved. If it stays in the reasonable price range it could be a really great find.

Bes also stated he has a Mark Levinson ss amp, not something most people are into, reeks of quality and class.  

I walked out of a well advertised estate sale with a $10 SX-1250, a $10 set of realistic mach 2's and a $10 thorens td 154 (I think) and to think I left a Akai Reel to reel there cos I didn't know what it was.

These same geniuses wanted absolutely 200 for the washer and 150 for the dryer. Firm. I waffled and said I'll come by after thinking about it and seeing if I can get a bigger car or a truck.

You'd be surprised.

Cool.

Srinath.

Guys there is no way this will not be snapped up within five minutes of the opening of the doors.  People line up for hours around here's.  There is a whole gang of audio re-sellers in this area that will be all over this sale.  You can't get there beforehand because they don't post the address until the night before to keep hustlers from showing up at the owners house.  I will probably get there at 6AM for a 10Am sale and there will already be 20 people there.

Now I have scored in the past.  Walked away with a Marantz 8b for the princely sum of $50, but that was a fluke.

However, there are other items, like a HH Scott 130 preamp, and a funny looking speaker I've posted pics of up in 2 Channel, that may  present opportunities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebes said:

However, there are other items, like a HH Scott 130 preamp, and a funny looking speaker I've posted pics of up in 2 Channel, that may  present opportunities.

When I'm usually late to an estate sale or know the big selling items are gone/unaffordable, is look around for stuff other people miss in the rush of things.

Went to an estate sale for a television repairman...when I first turned up ( a hour late) all the vacuum tubes were already said for and being loaded up in the box of a pick-up...so much for that option.

But I went in and looked finding all the electronic parts, parts bins and a ton of other odds and ends for peanuts.

I may have a local find this Saturday...the Mechanic at work had a cousin or brother pass away a few months back. He was a radio or audio dude. Mike the mechanic mentions lotsa tubes, test gear and vintage audio gear.

Got the address, and asked if they posted this supposed sale on CL yet...he mentioned they probably won't...I mentioned if they do, it'll be swamped by flippers and nothing worth a sh*t will be left by the time I get there.

Hmmm...maybe there can be an arrangement where I can beat the crowd...

• Like 1

Worse estate sale I've ever been to.  These guys were taking ebay  prices and adding a few hundred.  Only thing priced properly was a Knight tube amp for $250  Best example, a HH Scott pre 130 for $800, which might be worth it if you knew it was good.

Oh and to keep the thieves at bay they pulled all the tubes on any tube gear without marking the positions.  The idiots said they couldn't sell any cables because they were needed to hookup gear to prove it worked.   So get this,  they take, for example, a suspect table, like the $1800 Garrard 301 with broken arm,  to a suspect amp to a suspect speaker and turn it on.

Pathetic.