K-107-TI Faulty - Specs please

robio_d

Hi,

I have a 1 year old set of Cornwall III's which I love, yeah not the most resolving speaker but man what slam!

I'd noticed that my centre image on high hats and vocals were off to the right, and initial thought this was due to asymmetrical room placement and put up with it.  But then I got a USB mic for a project and measured them using REW.  

What I saw was a relative even response from both speakers through the band, give or take some different peaks and troughs, but from 4-5k up the signals diverged with the Left channel being approx -5DB down right up to the top.

So I swapped the positions round to see if it was placement, nope!  So I swapped the drivers round and the lower HF followed the driver.  Measurement time.

The stronger driver (R) measured 8.7ohms DCR and the "weaker" driver (L) measured 3.5ohm DCR.

I've contacted my agent and they will swap under warranty, but to my surprise they listed the 8.7ohm driver as being the faulty driver.  

Either listening, or by measurements the 8.7 ohm driver sounds/looks better.

Can anyone please supply the specs of the K-107-TI including an expected DCR reading?

ta

Rob.

2017-04-16 152856.jpg

2017-04-16 153238.jpg

L and R cornwall HF diff from cross to tweet.jpg

Edited by robio_d
messed up photos

Hi Robio, I've the same problem for a faulty K-107TI on Heresy III model. The only test that I've performed is with a CD that contain al frequency and reproducing th 12K Hz with the falty driver, it emitting a distirced sound at a certain level of the volume. I need to mesure with a tester the impedance of both TW. Alsa the faulty TW sound poor in very hign extreme band of high frequency if compared to the other one.

SOrry for my poor english, I'm from Italy.

Robio, another test I've make is to Exchange the tweeter on with the other to exclude that the fault is on the xover. For a correct measurement of the impedance of the TW disconnect before from the xover network.

Edited by Ro60

Hi Ro,

thanks for your response. 

Il tuo inglese è perfetto, posso solo parlare italiano attraverso google!

:lol:

Good to know I'm not alone with faulty drivers. 

I did measure disconnected and get the same response if I move the driver between crossovers.

Did you measure your drivers for comparison?  DCR ohms?

Robio.

Edited by robio_d
Grammar

Hi Rob, at the moment I'm away from my Heresy. The only news is the answer to the technical assistance in Italy that will provide me with No. 2 tweeters K-100 TI. I will mount them on my Tractrix horns hoping they will not encounter any problems.
I will do the measurements on the two ASAP tweeters.

Have a nice weekend.

Roberto

• 1 month later...

Hi again Robio, I've in my hands the replacement tweeter from Klipsch. On my tester I reading 7,7 Ohm on the new one, out of scale on the tweeter blown (short circuit). I also disassembly the fault one and I can see the coil completely burn! In my case may be a spike current generete from the action of a breaker in my house.

But now the Heresy sound perfect like new. Note that the spare part is only for the motor (magnet, diaphragm and diffusor) and don't include the horn that you must disassembly from your original tweeter. Tha parts is named K-100 TI.

Have a nice day.

Roberto.