RF7-II and Pioneer SCLX-701

kiwirascal

I managed to get my hands on some RF7-II speakers but no longer have much of a budget for an amp to drive them.  I wish I could stretch to a NAD or a pre/power amp but sadly I cannot.  I'm finding this a serious learning curve so Ive come to where the experts are.  Call me a neophyte 

I can just afford afford a Pioneer SCLX-701 which also gives me a chance to sell my Bose Soundtouch 130 that's on my TV, but do you think that this Pioneer will be up to the job of driving the speakers properly?  I'll eventually throw a front middle speaker on and two at the back but I'm primarily concerned with just the RF7s at the moment

Thanks all!

Paul

Edited by kiwirascal

56 minutes ago, kiwirascal said:

I can just afford afford a Pioneer SCLX-701 which also gives me a chance to sell my Bose Soundtouch 130 that's on my TV, but do you think that this Pioneer will be up to the job of driving the speakers properly?

Looking at the specs of the Pioneer, it should be more than up to the task of driving the 7II's Plus it can handle any impedance dips to 4 ohm's....Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Just noticed the 1600.00 price tag on the Pioneer. If you want to stretch your budget and get the most bang for buck, look at accessories 4 less for refurbished (with warranty) equipment. (Assuming you haven't purchased yet)

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

The Pioneer Elite negates the need of a NAD and anyother components.  This ia a complete package and should handle everything you have to throw at it.  If not, an outboard amp can be added but, and in improvement in SQ won't be the issues unless you are looking for some coloration of the music / movies.  At this, I won't consider anything else other than a Pioneer Elite.  Plenty of power, great autocalibration, and features packed.  What else can you really be looking for.  These are top notch and take a backseat to none of the other current offerings in avr's.

I have compared the Elites to Anthem, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon and always come back to the Pioneer sound.  Some of this is subjective but, the Elites, rival separate components IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kiwirascal said:

well, that confirms everything, many thanks to both of you!  It's on order and should be here in a couple of days

Now setup takes a learning curve and we are here for that.  A lot can be learned in one week with the avr but, to really take advantage, it will takes months of trial and error so don't get down if things don't work with the 1st calibration.  This is Hi Fi audio and not a 1 box unit. 

honestly separates don't have to be expensive. an adcom 5400 is around $150 and many of us started with that brand. you can use your receiver as a pre amp 

another thought is something like a marantz sr 5006 or 5007 receiver. they are 1080p receivers and often sell $200-250 used. same with older high end pioneer elites if you like that sound

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the speakers and I completely love them.  The amp however, what a miserable disappointment.   The sound output itself is great.  The software on the amp driving some of the streaming services is awful, suffering from sub second audio dropouts, to continual nag screens about allow pioneer to pull whatever data it wants from your amp, to the front bezel on the amp failing to remain up.  It's going back and Im getting a Yamaha instead, which was my first choice .  I should have trusted my gut and gone with it first.

9 minutes ago, kiwirascal said:

Well I got the speakers and I completely love them.  The amp however, what a miserable disappointment.   The sound output itself is great.  

Glad you love the speakers.  Bummer about the Pioneer AVR.

10 minutes ago, kiwirascal said:

The software on the amp driving some of the streaming services is awful, suffering from sub second audio dropouts, to continual nag screens about allow pioneer to pull whatever data it wants from your amp, to the front bezel on the amp failing to remain up.  It's going back and Im getting a Yamaha instead, which was my first choice .  I should have trusted my gut and gone with it first.

I hear that Yamaha's MusicCast software is very stable and intuitive.

Bill

3 hours ago, kiwirascal said:

Well I got the speakers and I completely love them.  The amp however, what a miserable disappointment.   The sound output itself is great.  The software on the amp driving some of the streaming services is awful, suffering from sub second audio dropouts, to continual nag screens about allow pioneer to pull whatever data it wants from your amp, to the front bezel on the amp failing to remain up.  It's going back and Im getting a Yamaha instead, which was my first choice .  I should have trusted my gut and gone with it first.

Did you call Pioneer to help trouble shoot?  You may have gotten a bad avr because you should not be having all that trouble.  I don't stream from the avr and use the BDP since it has more options.

Not yet, its the weekend and they arent open here.  The issue is a simple software fault.  If you stream from Spotify and push a track at the amp connect, the amp starts playing it.  One second into the track, the spotify connect then changes the background picture (TV plugged in or not) to an image of the track (album artwork usually).  The update process for that image causes the software to interrupt and this is the cause of the small track delay.  its only a small delay but it drives me mad, and it shouldn't be there.  A simple solution would be to not play the track until the artwork had been updated.  

Pioneer shipped a faulty amp to me anyway, so it had to go back and the shop I got it from doesnt have a replacement to swap it with, so I'll push for the yamaha upgrade, push the bug to pioneer to see if they'll fix it but it all honesty, I don't expect to hear from pioneer at all after filing a report.  I find it strange that they pushed code out that would do this.

Edited by kiwirascal