KT77 vs KT88

eth2

On 4/19/2017 at 8:55 PM, derrickdj1 said:

The tube in the preamp will set the stage on the warmth and secondary harmonics from the power tube.  Getting the right preamp tube will go a long way in getting the sound to what you want and not so much the power tube.  It comes down to reaching saturation to a certain degree.

sure been a while since we heard of @derrickdj1

• 11 months later...

robert_rc you are the tube man! I registered just to give you creds, you have tube sick worse than me, and likely more vacuums in your collection than I will ever have.  I have 4 rigs, 5 sets of speakers, and even a vintage SS rig, blasphemous.  Crown DC300, IC150A into vintage Infinity RS II, power hungry w power to spare, just to compare.  But nothing sounds as sweet as SET class A into my klipsch w a variety of NOS pres and current production 300bs and 845s.  Looking to add an EL34 SET to drive some focals and an REL.

Appreciate your insights and perspective.  Yes there ARE different tones with different set ups.  Now if I could only find a pair of Tannoy’s and RCA 845s on the cheap.