KP-250 and KP-115 KP480 Questions

Dave A

This week I bought a pair of KP-250-A and a pair of KP-250-R mains along with a pair KP-115-A subs and a pair of KP-480-SW subs. If there is someone who is around the middle Tennessee area who knows these  I think there are some problems but I need guidance on how to diagnose whatever is wrong with them. They sound a bit muddy to me and the one KP-250 seems to have an intermittent  cutout in the midrange horn.   

Never had the 115's but had the 480's for awhile, thought they were great but they really need a high powered pro amp to drive them. I ended up with a Samson SX2400 at 550x2 and boy did those subs come to life. I tried a couple different lower powered home amps and they did not sound good, muddy is exactly how I described them before powering them properly. The 250's on top of the 480's powered properly is a nice sounding set up, the 250's really need the extra woofage to fill in the lower end mids and really give them a big sound. Congrats on a nice setup!

John, I am 67 miles due south of downtown Nashville. Depending on when you come through I may be gone next week. Will you be coming back this way on your way home? Send me an email please I would like to talk to you.

CECAA850 I did what you suggested but the midrange still just does not sound right. It is kind of crackly if that makes any sense and since I have played with the connections a bit the cut out problem is gone. The other set sounds pretty darned good so I think there is an issue.

jjpktd I also got a rack with some amplifiers and a fancy crossover. I have not really looked at them yet but they sure do weigh a ton and it took two of us to lift it up into the van. There must be some huge heat sinks in there. One of those when I have time endeavors will be to hook them all up and see what I have. All the gear is from the early 2000's.  I hesitated to buy the rack full of stuff since I wanted the speakers only but for 250.00 I figured I would take a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

CECAA850 your suggestion of loosening and tightening has improved the problem considerably. I went in there and tightened all screws and wiggled connections and the muddy sound is almost gone. The mid range horn drivers were almost finger loose and I think the contact on the spade connectors from sitting idle for some time had a poor connection on top of it. John was kind enough to stop by and suggested replacing the caps in the crossover to which I will probably try. I like the sound but it is not quite there yet for my tastes.