Surround speaker options and overall placement for 2-row theater

vandiemen

I've been shopping around for speakers for my currently in-progress basement theater and am really impressed with the current reference premiere line of speakers.  I've spent quite some time trying to figure out what size would be appropriate for the size of my room but I don't think there is every a cut and dry answer that works for everyone.  Room is rectangular, roughly 320 sq feet.  Currently eyeing a 7.2 configuration:

2x RP-280f

1x RP-450C

2x R-115SW

2x RP-250s

2x RP-160M

I've heard the 280's are big and the R-115SW's are huge so was a little concerned that it is overkill.  I even mocked it up to scale (attached...1" in the picture = 1' IRL) and it looks OK to me.  Anyone think I should step it down a little?  I'm not on a budget necessarily and am fine with the price point.

Second question is concerning the sides/surround speakers.  I've wired for 4x ceiling speakers so I can do Atmos (haven't decided if I want it out the gate or just add them later).  From what I've read, the preference is usually the direct firing speakers (RP-160M for example), and less love for the wide dispersion speakers (RP-250s for example).  I'm planning on doing 2 rows of seats, and while I want to prioritize the MLP (main listening point for beginners like me), I also don't want to pick something that will make the other spots sound terrible by comparison.  I thought the 250s would better blend the sound and work for both rows, while the rear speakers will be behind everyone so direct firing works great.  Is this logical, or is there a better way to do this?  I could just as easily do 4x RP-250s or 4x RP-160M's if one of those is the better solution.

Final question is about the position of the rear speakers.  I plotted out a cone that represents the recommended angle for speaker placement for all speakers and it puts the rear surrounds roughly in the rear corners of the room.  I initially thought this would be perfect, but I've heard that speakers should not be placed in the corners like this.  How far away from the corners should they be?  Anything else about the layout look alarming that I should think twice about?  I appreciate any pointers you guys could give me.

Basement - Speaker position.png

You have headroom or more than you need for each element which is a nice way to go.    

The rear surrounds should be on the back wall closer together...high enough to fire directly at both rows.  Side surrounds need to be above ear level also.  Should be sweet.

It's not overkill at all.  Personally I'd stick with the RP-250S on the sides.  Direct firing speakers were the recommendation for Atmos at first but they changed their tune pretty quick about the others and allowed for the dispersed type, 250S will work fine and will keep the side seats from getting an ear full of horn.  160M's will be fine for the rear but the angle seems a little wide.  For Atmos most people go with the CDT 5650 or 5800 but you may want to consider the pro / IC line which has an integrated enclosure, they're supposed to sound nice.  

Thanks RoboKlipsch & MetropolisLakeOutfitters...seems like I should be bringing the rears closer together.  Layout was based on putting the rears 135-150 degrees from listening position...but because of the distance that throws them in the corner.  I do like the CDT's for the ceiling but still shopping.  There is the same question about direct vs wide dispersion for ceiling speakers as well.  I'm glad to hear that the 250S on the side will work well.  I'll post some photos as I get everything set up

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, vandiemen said:

Thanks RoboKlipsch & MetropolisLakeOutfitters...seems like I should be bringing the rears closer together.  Layout was based on putting the rears 135-150 degrees from listening position...but because of the distance that throws them in the corner.  I do like the CDT's for the ceiling but still shopping.  There is the same question about direct vs wide dispersion for ceiling speakers as well.  I'm glad to hear that the 250S on the side will work well.  I'll post some photos as I get everything set up

Are you mounting the RP-160M to the wall or going with stands? If going with stands, does it make sense to then look at RP-250F? Since the price after stands will be pretty close to RP-250F

I am in a similar situation as you and had read this on the forum

Edited by suniths
clarity

• 2 weeks later...

nice drawing and thought out placement.  my one suggestion is this, once you figure out the angle of your surround speakers, play with the height of them.  the side and rear speakers don't need to be the same height either.  in my old set up, my side speakers were a foot (or so) taller than my rears.  have your favorite HT tuning DVD ready, have a buddy sit in the sweet spot and move the speakers in 6" increments. for me moving my rear speakers to 36" was the equivalent to turning them off (perfect was at 42").  i made super cheap speaker stands out of 2x4's and once we had all 4 at the right height, i mounted them to the wall. 

wide dispersion vs direct: i found out the distance from listener was the key.  for side surrounds the Wide won every time. the rear speakers have a lot to do with distance.  if you are 4' or LESS (sweet spot measured to speaker) then the Wide will sound better. 4' or GREATER the direct fire is best.  i spent quite a while using RS42, RS52, and RB61's to figure that out. being close to direct firing speakers (for surrounds), you lose the "sound" effect.  it basically fires the sound over your head and you hear it like it's in front of you, instead of being behind.

that's my 2 cents...