HH Scott 222c Modified....

SWL

A few months ago I found a reputable tech in Chicago to modify my 222c. I asked him if he could install 'main inputs' so that I could experiment using the 222c as an amp only.

He did better than that....he modified it so that I can use it normal, as a preamp only or as an amp only.

After experimenting, I've fallen in love using it as an amp only mated with a seperate preamp.

I wanted to mention this so anybody that owns one of these Scott tube integrateds might want to give it a try....or not. It took him less than ten minutes to do the mod while we sat there and BS'd.

I've fallen in love with my 222c all over again. Only this time it has the flavor of my favorite preamp. They're like a match made in heaven. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

A fully restored Marantz Model 3600. This pre has been described as having a somewhat darker sound compared to other Marantz preamps of the same era....and I agreed with that but thought it worked well with the obvious Klipsch characteristics. However, after the new caps, etc. were installed as part of the restoration, it has it all. The warm, early 70's Marantz sound with every bit of detail and fidelity.

Combined with the warm tones of the Scott and the A55G mid drivers I'm set.

Why not find a el84 push pull power amp? I can understand if there is a characteristic of the scott that you love. But it seems to be a waste of components that are built into the integrated.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, all my vintage Marantz solid state units are this way. Having this flexibility is great....especially for someone like me who is always trying something different.

No toggle switch. I won't try to describe what he did under the hood other than it took him less than 10 minutes to do it. I was standing right next to him shootin the $hit with his partner not paying close enough attention....

The way it works is that the tape recorder input has now become the main input or pre-out. If I want to use it as a preamp, the phase inverter tubes come out. If I want to use it strickly as an amplifier, the inverter tubes stay in....again, using the tape recorder inputs as main inputs.

If I simply want to use it as a normal, HH Scott 222c integrated amp.....nothing changes. I just leave all tubes in and use either the extra or the tuner input.

Well okay....not much of a modification then. The preamp section of the 222C will be very pesky about the input impedance of the amplifier you try to drive. It's really not a stand alone preamplifier. The amplifier section should work real well in some cases. Again it will be preamplifier finicky. The preamp should always be capacitor coupled or the amplifier section could easily go ballistic on you. 

Two more questions...

When using it as a normal 222C integrated do all front panel controls still function? 

When using it as a power amp or preamplifier don't you have to change tape monitor switch location?  

Just thought of one more.

When using it as a preamplifier with the output tubes still in place will you have either speakers or some loading resistors in place? 

• Like 1

Two more questions...

Just thought of one more.

When using it as a preamplifier with the output tubes still in place will you have either speakers or some loading resistors in place? 

He didn't say anything about that.....only to remove the inverter tubes when using it as a preamp.

Eventually, I'll try using it as a preamp again. When I did....it was with a Crown K2 pro-amp and I don't think they are very compatible. Pro vs consumer....

I didn't spend any more time with it as a pre with any other amps because like I said earlier, the Marantz pre/222c amp only combo just blew me away.

I'd guesstimate that I have approx 75-100 hours run through this combo so far. Bias is cool and everything seems to be normal.

10 minutes ago, SWL said:

He didn't say anything about that.....only to remove the inverter tubes when using it as a preamp.

well I would not run it that way if it was mine... if the output section is not loaded and something goes wrong with it like an output tube failure one of the output transformer is surely going to get fried. In fact even with a loading resistor it could still lose a transformer since you would most likely have no clue it was happening without speakers attached. What you are describing done correctly can not be done in a few minutes.

I have one more question...maybe ;).

When running it as a power amplifier is the sound changed at all when you adjust the main volume control or balance control on the 222C?  

I have one more question...maybe ;).

When running it as a power amplifier is the sound changed at all when you adjust the main volume control or balance control on the 222C?  

Volume on the 222c does nothing. The balance control I'm pretty sure does nothing as well, I'll have to check.

well I would not run it that way if it was mine... if the output section is not loaded and something goes wrong with it like an output tube failure one of the output transformer is surely going to get fried. In fact even with a loading resistor it could still lose a transformer since you would most likely have no clue it was happening without speakers attached.

Thanks for the heads-up.[emoji106]