Recommendations to replace Kg-2's

sam66

I'm looking to possibly replace my Kg-2 speakers that I purchased new in 1984. I'm starting to do some research, reading forums, and it's all very overwhelming. I'm looking for a few suggestions to start. My question is -- the ol' KG-2's have served me well for many years, but I'm feeling that they are just lacking a crispness that something newer might be able to provide. My room is smaller -- 12 x 14. I have a Marantz AV-700 integrated amp (circa 1993) that I have no intention of replacing.Bookshelf or floor standing - I have no preference, but my max budget is $500. I'm seeing that the RP-150 and RP-160's can be had within my price range. Any suggestions as to starting points would be appreciated --- and even if you think it's a noticeable upgrade to the KG-2's. Thanks in advance.

With patience and research Forte I; Forte II; or even a set of Chorus speakers may be had in that price zone. I even recently just missed (by 15 min, boo hoo) a set of Cornwalls for $450 here in Phoenix.

E-Bay, Craigslist and Letgo are sources to consider, but with local pick up, as shipping is difficult to arrange and quite expensive. Also local allows for auditioning the product, to avoid mis-representation of performance and condition.

There are also deals to be had from forum members, who can be relied upon for accurate descriptions of performance and appearance of items. Some, even most, are offered at below Craigslist or E Bay market value and have performance enhancing updates/upgrades.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search!

JBCODD

P. S. I have only mentioned heritage models because I have no experience with newer Klipsch issues. Others will have more suggestions regarding newer models.

Edited by JBCODD
Amplification

Have you thought of replacing the old capacitors?  That is a common cause of "dullness".  As they age, the values change and resistance rises. 

Here is the schematic.  And a pic of mine after I recapped them, recently.  They are smoother and have less apparent distortion when loud.  $56 with shipping from Parts Express.

KG-2 with drone.pdf

KG2 crosover recapped.jpg

• Moderators

All good suggestions, the only thing I would add is, do not be afraid to buy a larger speaker like suggested because of room size. The Forte or Cornwalls would sound great in your room if you were to find a set for your price range, which is very possible. 

I only say this because some people think they need a huge room for them, not true.

Also have fun and take your time to get a real improvement, depending on where you are might make a difference how often they pop up for sale ?

Welcome

• Like 1

I purchased a used set of cornwalls here in Phoenix about 5 years ago for about $400. Of course I rehabbed them over the years with new veneer, updated networks, and new grilles. However, if I did nothing to them they would have been just fine tucked into corners playing your favorite music.

if size is a consideration, I've owned a pair of KG4s since 1990. They are smaller than fortes and chorus but do a fine job for what they are.

I have klipschorns now.

A shot of all 3 before I sold the cornwalls.

image.jpg1_zpswhchomha.jpg

• Like 1

I second the KG4s. I am in the process of upgrading my speaker myself. I am coming from KG4 but happy to stay with it until I can justify upgrading to CW.

The KG4s are that good. I have compared them to CW running the same amp in different room environment, the only improvement I perceive from KG4 to CW aside from added SPL is having a dedicated mid driver.

I also had a quartet a while ago and donated it to my father in law together with a vintage marantz. The marantz is basically good amp (not as good as tube amp ofcourse but still good). I would stay away from quartet though and I cannot comment on other heritage series.

Anyway, if you are sticking with klipsch I highly recommend tube amps specially for 2 channel audio. Happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Right here, Bill. Thanks for all the suggestions --- although my KG-2's don't technically qualify as "heritage", I have owned them for over 30 years, so I'm trying to wrap my head around some of these suggestions - which seem to be at least somewhat similar in nature (e.g. replace my KG-2's with KG-4's - I'm not sure I'm sold on that idea). But I do appreciate it -- and John Albright, thanks for the great pics! Not sure, however, that is something I want to tackle, but definitely something to consider, and it makes perfect sense. Since there have yet to be any comments about the RP-150 and RP-160, I'm guessing those aren't replacements worth consideration. 

1 minute ago, sam66 said:

Since there have yet to be any comments about the RP-150 and RP-160, I'm guessing those aren't replacements worth consideration. 

I would not say that but IMO, the KG2 is a special "little" speaker that should continue to sing the songs that you love.

Bill

perhaps I can add a little something to this...I am the original owner of a pair of kg2s from 1989...within the last year I bought from Bob Crites new crossovers (I believe I am the first to buy a set for kg2s from him) along with a pair of Titanium tweeter diaphragms that I have had from him for a couple years...

The Titanium tweeter diaphragms do a nice update in their own right for the highs with theses speakers and the new crossovers make the kg2 a really nice speaker...

If you want to buy something new, I would never steer you away from that but for a few hundred (much less if you start with just the Titanium tweeter diaphragms) you will bring your kg2s back to better than new.

Bill

you'll spend a little more buying the crossovers already done from Bob Crites but I have no talent to do the changes myself...however, installing the new crossovers is not tough at all and within a short amount of time you are up and listening and hearing things you have been missing for some time I predict...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

Hey Sam66,

Where do you live?  Changing the caps requires some ability to visualize spatial relationships and very simple soldering.  But if you don't have the gear, maybe someone close does.  Critesspeakers.com will probably do it, too. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all! Great suggestions. I think I might try replacing the old caps first. John: I live in Lincoln, NE. I don't have any such experience soldering and whatnot, but my Dad does --- he helped me replace a blown cap on an old OTA DVR that was otherwise bricked. It works great now. I'm re-reading SilverSport's message - and trying to understand the technology. A call or e-mail to Bob Crites might be in order also. "Titanium tweeter diaphragms" at least sounds good, but I don't really know what that means.

Cheers,

The diaphragm is the vibrating surface in a compression driver.  They can be made of many things, plastic, phenolic plastic, aluminum are common.  Titanium and beryllium are exotic, lighter and/or stiffer. Every material has signature sound.  Lighter diaphragms most often have a higher max frequency. 

Diaphragm