What is an Audiophile

bracurrie

34 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

ken rockwell is an ad-bating hack promoting himself as an expert of photography and audio. take his thoughts with a heavy dose of skepticism.

Thanks for the reply.
Ok. I'll bite. On what basis do you think so lowly of him?  I have read several of his reviews and he strikes me as well grounded. Granted he is trying to make money from his web site but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with asking for donations, especially after you have read the material.

Brad

• Moderators

I think it means someone who possibly will never be satisfied, and every little change is over exaggerated.  

I couldn't be one, I am satisfied with what I have, and my ears are abused from work many years ago.

• Like 3

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, bracurrie said:

I have read several of his reviews and he strikes me as well grounded.

I felt the same way, yes it's his job and I have not seen any pictures he has taken that would be anything more than a nice snapshot. I don't think of him as a photographer in any way. I do read at times for the direct comparisons from different models about specs and performance. One person reviewing performance and features on similar models is better than reading them from different people or websites most of the time, which I still do.

But like anything it's all opinions. I say this because I research to death anything I am looking to buy, my wife even make fun of how crazy I get making sure it's everything I want and expect.

I liked the article and agree with most of it except that in my mind there isn't just "A" (audiophile) and "B" (music lover) but a continuum where I'd say the majority of people are somewhere in the middle or leaning towards one side.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I liked the article and agree with most of it except that in my mind there isn't just "A" (audiophile) and "B" (music lover) but a continuum where I'd say the majority of people are somewhere in the middle or leaning towards one side.  

Well said. It's like adjusting the contrast. :)

I guess I am an audiophile.  I don't buy exotic interconnect, power cords, things to lift the wires off the ground or pixies dust.  I just like my system and what I hear.  The definition is open ended and take it as you will but, we are hanging out on an audio forum, lol.

• Like 1

In my unprofessional Audiophile mind I wasn't satisfied with a pair of Klipsch Heresy so I bought another pair. So I have 4. Now for 2 pair of La Scalia II and 2 pair of Klipschorns. Then I'll be a certified professional Audiophile in my own mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bracurrie said:

But do you obsess about it?

Nope, I use to wonder if I was getting the most out of it but, I am at a place that most improvements will be minuscule.  I can't think of a major upgrade for the moment.  I just get a kick out of listening to music and watching some movies.  I guess I'm out of the tinkering stage and just the enjoyment phase of the system.  

I really don't care what other amps, speaker, transport, etc are out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, derrickdj1 said:

Nope, I use to wonder if I was getting the most out of it but, I am at a place that most improvements will be minuscule.  I can't think of a major upgrade for the moment.  I just get a kick out of listening to music and watching some movies.  I guess I'm out of the tinkering stage and just the enjoyment phase of the system.

Admit it.  You're addicted to that Backbum Buster.

• Like 1

You to can be a part of my quest for Audiophiledom.
If you donate your Klipschorns and/or La Scalia II Speakers. I will list your name on the credits. I need 2 pair of each. Be a part of Audiophile history. Donate Today. Future Audiophile in my own Mind. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

ken rockwell is an ad-bating hack promoting himself as an expert of photography and audio. take his thoughts with a heavy dose of skepticism.

I see what you mean.  I read a bit of the article he wrote from 2012.  It's inelegant at the very least and certainly insensitive.

"Thank God I'm not an audiophile. Just like a pedophile, ..."  :blink: