What is an Audiophile

bracurrie

2 hours ago, bracurrie said:

Thanks for the reply.
Ok. I'll bite. On what basis do you think so lowly of him?  I have read several of his reviews and he strikes me as well grounded. Granted he is trying to make money from his web site but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with asking for donations, especially after you have read the material.

Brad

My first exposure to his work was in the area of photography, where he presents himself as an expert but offers nothing of any real substance. he just churns out article after article in order to drive traffic to his website, making recommendations will the sole purpose of Amazon referral sales, etc.

Props to him for being savvy in the revenue generation field, but he should not be regarded as any sort of expert in my opinion.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2017 at 3:43 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

My first exposure to his work was in the area of photography, where he presents himself as an expert but offers nothing of any real substance. he just churns out article after article in order to drive traffic to his website, making recommendations will the sole purpose of Amazon referral sales, etc.

Props to him for being savvy in the revenue generation field, but he should not be regarded as any sort of expert in my opinion.

My experience exactly. First ran into the name at dpreivew.com. His sole purpose is to drive traffic to his site. 

Really nothing to see there. We're much more entertaining....

Mark

1 hour ago, Schu said:

What is an audiofool?

Schu, please take this as totally tongue in cheek. I think you're the best, BUT...

An audiofool just might be someone who ships large heavy delicate speakers across the country expecting good results.... 

Snark mode off. Sorry. Couldn't help myself. 

Luv ya man. 

Mark

• Like 1

nothing wrong with shipping if you actually make an effort to pack properly and build a real shipping container or carton and or use a skid. the paper cardboard boxes that the factory sells its speakers in are NOT shipping containers and people love to believe or fool themselves into think they are when they are not. many folks have to have a speaker destroyed to discover the truth of this and many more don't learn this ever. Expecting that you can ship a loudspeaker across the country in the paper box you bought it in is a clever as thinking that you can ship a dozen eggs across country in the paper carton they were sold in at the grocery store. Only a fool would expect the eggs to arrive in good condition.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:43 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

he should not be regarded as any sort of expert in my opinion.

Maybe I am an audiofool, but his explanations make sense to me.  I have learned a long time ago that in matters of politics, media and art a great deal of opinion is involved and those should be taken with a grain of salt.

I personally dislike the word Audiophile.  It has a close association with many words using the word PHILE in it, that immediately conjures up bad images in a persons head.

Phile on the end of a word means a lover or enthusiast of an object, item,  I enjoy the audio equipment, and listening to music as often as I can. But the people who claim to be audiophiles, call themselves that using their own set of rules or criteria.  

I joking refer to an Audiophile as a person who is heading out to pick up a set of $400 RCA cables during a heavy rain storm, on their way they have their left hand outside the car working the windshield wiper.

Sometimes I feel there are those of us who get a little to obsessed with with the whole audio thing.  As for me I am a recovering audio addict. Cant go cold turkey but weaning myself away slowly.

The big man above gave us all five senses,  Sight, Hearing, Taste, Smell, Touch.  There is only one thing in the world that stimulates all of them, & its not an amplifier or a set of speakers. Anyone?  Anyone? Anyone?  

So if I am going to be a phile of anything it would be the the one that triggers all these senses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staygroovybaby said:

The big man above gave us all five senses,  Sight, Hearing, Taste, Smell, Touch.  There is only one thing in the world that stimulates all of them, & its not an amplifier or a set of speakers. Anyone?  Anyone? Anyone?  

I'd say women.

• Moderators
On 4/26/2017 at 4:31 PM, JBCODD said:

Someone who powers La Scalas with a boombox?

I think your being a little rough on yourself, I would have done the same instead of not hearing them at all. Look at the upgrade from the boom box to almost anything, big difference. :emotion-21:

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'd say women.

This a little scary, it was the first thing to pop in my head, I'm turning into Carl, guess I need to go shave. :lol:

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

I think your being a little rough on yourself, I would have done the same instead of not hearing them at all. Look at the upgrade from the boom box to almost anything, big difference. :emotion-21:

This a little scary, it was the first thing to pop in my head, I'm turning into Carl, guess I need to go shave. :lol:

The upgrade has happened. Now running a Yamaha CDC 585 to a C-60 pre to an M-65 amp. Fills the house. And the backyard, too. Currently setting up a Mac Mini to be a music server. Perhaps by the end of the year I can get my turntable into the mix, but it needs rehab or replacement.

8 minutes ago, staygroovybaby said:

DING, DING, Ding,  I honestly thought no one would answer much less get it correct.  My hat is off to you.   You get an A+++++

I was going to say a great martini, but that would have been too obvious......

Just now, jimjimbo said:

I was going to say a great martini, but that would have been too obvious......

I assume you were funnin a little with your answer.  But you know what, most people say some type of food or beverage.  And lets always remember, No drinking and driving. Its to hard to keep from spilling a Martini while driving.  Just curious, I have not had a drink in 9 years, never had a problem with it just lost my taste for it. But after I stopped having a drink or two, my speakers changed their sound.  Do you think there is a connection?