The Beast has awakened

JBCODD

Finally got the hi if up and running after 15 yrs of cold (Colorado) and hot (Phoenix) storage.  As documented elsewhere, I got a set of la Scala about a month ago. Due to a dead CD player I powered them with a Pioneer boom box. Surprisingly, this sounded quite good. A whole lot better than the I pod dock I had been listening to. Well, my wife turned up a Yamaha CDC-585 at a yard sale for a fin. Hooked this to the existing Yamaha C-60 pre and M-65 amp and got ready to listen to awesome stereo.

I got awesome mono.      No left channel.       Bummer.

A bit of t/s and a loose output connection on the pre was found. A dab of solder later and the schweeet sounds were heard. I expected improvement, but the increase in fidelity was most astounding. Tracks which were muffled before were now crystal. This is the Yamaha sound I remember.I think I will be enjoying this for a while.

IMG_0248.JPG

• Like 3

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

I powered them with a Pioneer boom box.

27 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

Well, my wife turned up a Yamaha CDC-585 at a yard sale for a fin. Hooked this to the existing Yamaha C-60 pre and M-65 amp and got ready to listen to awesome stereo.

27 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

expected improvement, but the increase in fidelity was most astounding. Tracks which were muffled before were now crystal.

Reading all of that, I'm going to say what they say in the NFL..........COME ON MAN

From a boom box to yamaha separates, the difference should be astounding. 

Not trying to give you a hard time, you actually had me laughing. But really, glad it's doing much better, you should go thank the wife one more time, she did great. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, dtel said:

Reading all of that, I'm going to say what they say in the NFL..........COME ON MAN

From a boom box to yamaha separates, the difference should be astounding. 

Not trying to give you a hard time, you actually had me laughing. But really, glad it's doing much better, you should go thank the wife one more time, she did great. 

I haven't stopped thanking her for the past month. I was looking for Affordable Forte's for two months, and she told me to quit wasting time and just get the la scala pair.

Glad you got a laugh out of the situation, my pals at work have been ribbing me about it as well. I just couldn't leave the speakers silent while I tried to fix the CD player, so I hooked up the boomer.  All's well, as it has ended well.

JBCODD

Love the bedroom setup.  That's where my 2 channel is at.  Moved furniture around today and have definitely bettered the image.  The bed should definitely act as a giant bass trap, or room treatment for those nasty first wave reflections.  I have a king size one right behind me.  Enjoy!

It's actually a quilt drying on a covered pool table. The wind is blowing and my wife didn't want it dusty right after washing.

We downsized when the younger twins graduated college and moved out to begin adulting. The smaller house is presenting a challenge to my renewed hobby. My Heresys fit in the tv room, but the la scalas will not, so I have to get creative.

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:

It's actually a quilt drying on a covered pool table. The wind is blowing and my wife didn't want it dusty right after washing.

We downsized when the younger twins graduated college and moved out to begin adulting. The smaller house is presenting a challenge to my renewed hobby. My Heresys fit in the tv room, but the la scalas will not, so I have to get creative.

I know all about getting creative.  The wife is not overly happy with what I've done to our bedroom.  I'm still going though.  Pool table in a room with good tunes.  I could get into that.  We all have to make concessions to get the most out of what we have.  If it works, have fun with it.  Those mains are better than what I'm using.  If it sounds good to you, run with it.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, JBCODD said:

I just couldn't leave the speakers silent while I tried to fix the CD player, so I hooked up the boomer.  All's well, as it has ended well.

Can't blame you for doing that

13 hours ago, JBCODD said:

I haven't stopped thanking her for the past month. I was looking for Affordable Forte's for two months, and she told me to quit wasting time and just get the la scala pair.

From reading that It sounds like the perfect wife.