Fixing my first Klipsch

MikeFord

My gateway drug to Klipsch was a pair of old Hersey going cheap for local pickup on ebay. When I picked them up turned out both woofers were damaged, one of them kicked in with most of the cone destroyed. Cheap got even cheaper, but then for various reasons not til years later, this weekend I finally fixed them, and they sound great. What took so long included buying wrong and/or bad replacement woofers twice and one damaged in shipping, plus finding a set of Forte's and then CF-4's.

One woofer had some damage at the surround that has a messy looking some kind of glue repair, and the dust cap poked in some (which I will fix), but I don't hear any issues in the sound, so 2nd k22 replacement is staying in its shipping box for now.

K77 was open circuit in the kicked in woofer speaker, but a friend gave me a EV T35 from a garage sale, and it seems to be working fine as a replacement. One note, I used the wires from the kicked in woofer, and they appear shorter than the normal tweeter wire. I had to use the bottom connections on the barrier strip to get them to reach.

I haven't decided yet on trying to replace the diaphragm on the open K77, or what to do with my growing collection of bad woofers given the cost with a bit of patience for a working drivers vs repair or even parts.

I have a TW(EV)-35 in a mono speaker that sounds great. Finding a single diaphragm for the K-77 used or new may not be difficult at all.

Someone on the forum maybe a possibility.

As for the collected woofers, craigslist comes to mind.

Sounds like you now have 3 pairs of desirable Klipsch speakers. Congrats...:emotion-21:

I would just buy different tweets and woofers from Bob Crites,,,,sell the old woofers and tweets. K77 diaphragms are hard to find now and some are just crap. You could send the old woofers out and have them repaired but that would cost shipping to and from with hazards of them getting banged up again.

I generally like the sound, kind of getting a taste of Klipsch and horn character. If I head into different drivers it won't be to mod one of old speakers, but a start from scratch design using whatever is best within my budget aiming for a separate subwoofer handling all the bass below 60 to 80 hz, which changes the size etc of the mains a lot.