RB 51 iis

chasec2021

Ok guys, so around Decemeber/January/Feb, I made a few purchases. I bought RB 61 ii, RC 62 ii and RS 42 ii for my sides, leaving quintets for the rear. Due to a poorly shaped room and having to mount the speakers up high above opitmal position for the side/surrounds, I have moved the RS 42 ii's to be me rear speakers. I was wondering if anyone here knew how the RB51 iis are. I think the main thing i noticed when i got the RS's, was how much more bass I was getting from the RS 42 iis over the quintet satellites, and was thinking that should go up even more if I did 51 ii's for sides. 

Anyways, let me know what yall think about that. They are not a bad price on amazon right now, as I have a 50$ coupon on there through work as well, so i could get a pair for like 150

I would go for it and if you wanted to in the future, you would have the option to put the 42's back in their previous position if wanted to. The 51's sound like a decent deal and would go more with your system timbre wise than the Quintets being Reference. I would look at the specs on the 51 versus the Quintet as going to presume the 51's go lower somewhat. If free shipping, that would about do it for me, decision wise. Others may chime in.

22 minutes ago, billybob said:

I would go for it and if you wanted to in the future, you would have the option to put the 42's back in their previous position if wanted to. The 51's sound like a decent deal and would go more with your system timbre wise than the Quintets being Reference. I would look at the specs on the 51 versus the Quintet as going to presume the 51's go lower somewhat. If free shipping, that would about do it for me, decision wise. Others may chime in.

Right now I have R 15 M's in my bed room as my main fronts. Do you know how different these are compared to the ones I am looking at? (RB 51 iis v R 15 M) The reason I am asking is I could just move those to that spot and replace them with Quintets for the front. I just think leaving them there and going with the RB 51s for timbre purposes is probably the wise thing. Pluse that would mean all of them would match for grill/style as well instead of having the best buy line for the sides.

Next house, like you said, i can switch those to be my rears and the RS's to be my sides.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Well I would try what you just suggested. Have heard 1 pair of the 15's and thought they sounded good. Cannot say how they compare to the 51's but, suggest the 15's a better match than the Quintet. Let us know...

Ya they sound fine (15s) but I would be losing them as my mains in my bedroom for quintets to be matched with a R 25 C, so it isnt a convenient switch. I also will have to order some mounts either way for me to make it happen, so If I am gonna do this I may as well buy the speakers at a good price that match, but I do agree, the 15s would be an obvious upgrade over the quintets

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

The quintets are leaving a hole in the response.  The rbs are best as rear surrounds with the rs42 as side aurrounds imo.    But rb51s are nice.  Much better than r15m soundwise imo but not a huge diff in bass.

I agree that that would be the Ideal set up, but not in what I am working with. Rear sound doesnt matter as far as direction as ears can't pinpoint where they are coming from, so the surrounds can hang out there until we move to a house with a square den. Them being where they were was actually a downgrade from the quintets that were positioned there before, I was only getting half of the sound as the angle of the speakers just couldnt be matched up with that wall angle no matter what I would do. I would have to build something to mold into my wall to make them angle downward and be jutting out from the wall. In this room it is just easier to use bookshelves for now, but at least I have the surrounds for later in the next house. The only upgrade I noticed going from quintet to the RS's was more bass, but it seemed that I lost a lot of sound overall due to positioning. I can get better bass with the 51s and upgrade the sound from the quintets in a relatively cheap move. I really appreciate yall responding. I feel like I will pull the trigger tomorrow when I can redeem my rewards points from work.

• Like 1

On Sun Apr 23 2017 at 11:03 AM, RoboKlipsch said:

im not understanding your challenges fully but if u like the plan go for it.

My challenge is the shape of my room is something that conservative setups can't  be done in. It is a diamond shape with the tv in the corner. Also, the mounts have to be up high because of where doors are, so the surround speakers can not be the sides. I tried them, they are worse in many aspects to the quintets because of positioning issues, but I have made the best of them by moving them to be my rears, which moves quintets back to be the sides. So I was wondering what people knew about RB 51s, and if people had comparisons personally between them and R 15s since I already have some of those and know how they sound. 

Edited by chasec2021
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 9:55 AM, chasec2021 said:

Ya they sound fine (15s) but I would be losing them as my mains in my bedroom for quintets to be matched with a R 25 C, so it isnt a convenient switch. I also will have to order some mounts either way for me to make it happen, so If I am gonna do this I may as well buy the speakers at a good price that match, but I do agree, the 15s would be an obvious upgrade over the quintets

I agree that that would be the Ideal set up, but not in what I am working with. Rear sound doesnt matter as far as direction as ears can't pinpoint where they are coming from, so the surrounds can hang out there until we move to a house with a square den. Them being where they were was actually a downgrade from the quintets that were positioned there before, I was only getting half of the sound as the angle of the speakers just couldnt be matched up with that wall angle no matter what I would do. I would have to build something to mold into my wall to make them angle downward and be jutting out from the wall. In this room it is just easier to use bookshelves for now, but at least I have the surrounds for later in the next house. The only upgrade I noticed going from quintet to the RS's was more bass, but it seemed that I lost a lot of sound overall due to positioning. I can get better bass with the 51s and upgrade the sound from the quintets in a relatively cheap move. I really appreciate yall responding. I feel like I will pull the trigger tomorrow when I can redeem my rewards points from work.

I think you are overlooking your own comments about position and how they sound.  Where they are located on the wall does make a huge difference not only at the listening positions but also with bass re-enforcement.  When mounted on a wall, the wall is reenforcing the speaker.  The quintets are rated to 110hz and that's probably being a bit generous.  So there's a gap there, from say 150hz down and must be filled by a subwoofer otherwise there's a gap.  Pointing them at the listening position is very important.  Yes they are rear or side surrounds, but placement is incredibly important.  The rear surrounds less so, but if the space doesn't allow for a 7. setup to be setup well, just go with 5.1 and be happy with it.  7. is not a huge difference from 5 imo.   

17 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I think you are overlooking your own comments about position and how they sound.  Where they are located on the wall does make a huge difference not only at the listening positions but also with bass re-enforcement.  When mounted on a wall, the wall is reenforcing the speaker.  The quintets are rated to 110hz and that's probably being a bit generous.  So there's a gap there, from say 150hz down and must be filled by a subwoofer otherwise there's a gap.  Pointing them at the listening position is very important.  Yes they are rear or side surrounds, but placement is incredibly important.  The rear surrounds less so, but if the space doesn't allow for a 7. setup to be setup well, just go with 5.1 and be happy with it.  7. is not a huge difference from 5 imo.   

They are pointed towards the listening position better as rears than sides for this setup. There is no perfect answer to the situation beside take them out altogether and go with a speaker that is not a bi  pole so they can point right at it. That would mean buying too pairs of speakers though to do and they sound fine as rears now. And I have a sub so that hasn't been an issue