your worst case of sellers remorse

juniper

6 hours ago, richieb said:

You are kidding, right? How much time and how many hankys' do you have?!

Was just curious, I know its not arms and legs, or losing a loved one, war, famine,  and we could go on and on...... and if you don't need a hanky in this world,,,,,,,,,, well........

7 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

I sold a Patek Philippe wristwatch that I inherited from my paternal grandfather to pay off CC debt in my early twenties.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

No wristwatch remorse here at all....still have the Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 I bought new in 1979...worth about 6 times what I paid for it nowadays because it was the same watch that Magnum P.I. wore in the TV series.  Strange how that kinda stuff works....I have watched my small collection of Alsta Automatic Nautoscaphs steadily go up in value, too...since collectors noticed that it was the watch worn in the original Jaws movie by the old shark-hunter!  It seems that a watch which has been used in an older Hollywood movie gains in value for no other reason than the movie it was seen in...go figure!  But any Swiss automatic dive watch guaranteed waterproof to 30 ATM in the early to mid 1960's is rare enough to begin with, much less any made prior to the 1960's!

Here is my real remorseful sale:  I bought a new Ducati Imola 750 Super Sport desmo right after arriving in Italy in very late 1973...after a year or so, Ducati came out with its 900SS, so I traded in the 750 on it...and right before I left Italy I sold the 900SS to a buddy of mine for 650 bucks less than I had paid for it.  If I still had that 750SS Imola, I could sell it today and buy a nice new house with what it would bring!  It is what it is!

• Like 1

I've told the story on another thread about moving into a house in 1985 where my 1978 KB-WOs (autographed by PWK and re-oiled a dozen times with Casey's TruOil by yours truly) sounded absolutely terrible, replaced them with C-WOs (that performed light-years better in that room) and after 7 years of gathering dust, sold the K-Horns. Although 16 years ago I bought a house in which K-Horns also wouldn't work (no corners, no places to put artificial corners), those speakers were my first audio "true love", and I've always wished I could have held onto them.

My other regret was selling a 1984 Gretsch drumset (2 x 22" basses, 12", 13", 16", 18" toms, 5.5" snare, red rosewood finish) that no longer worked well for the kind of music I was playing (experimental/fusion). I eventually built my own home studio that the Gretsch set would have been perfect for. On the bright side, in 2013 I got a Ludwig Legacy Maple drumset (2 x 22" basses, 12", 13", 14" 16" toms, WMP finish, 5" Black Beauty snare) which is the finest instrument I've ever put sticks to. Perfect for live or recording.

Sometimes I miss selling the DBB/Cornwall/Aletheia/Schiit system I had created, but I ended up turning that room into storage and there's no space in the house where that gear would have fit, so it worked out I guess. It was the highest quality components I had ever assembled into a system, so I think that's why I have a slight tinge of regret.

I thought I would regret selling my RF-5's, but I really enjoy the KP-201's in my living room.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:24 PM, USNRET said:

Pray tell????????

The MDA1000 I think may be the best DAC I've heard.  You could go directly to MAC amps and have beautiful, Rich sound.   Just pump a basic CD player into its optical or coaxial input and you will have wonderful, "analog sounding" audio.  PC audio too.

Like a Duma$$, I sold it as there was "pressure" that it would soon be outdated because there was no USB input.    Little did I know that soon after I sold it, there was these reclocker devices on the market to get around that.

Buying these used now is a wallet breaker.  The used price keeps going up.  People won't let go of them.

They are gorgeous up close.  3D front with deep metal engraving on top.

I do not think McIntosh is a great digital company....but that unit was way overbuilt.  Their follow up products don't compare...although I haven't heard this new MCD1100 or something like that.

704macda40734.jpg

Brother In Law helped rebuild my deck on back of house and in a moment of weakness, I gave a very nice Colt Gold Cup National Match. What a firkin mistake. He has zero concept of it's status and treats it... well not like I would treat it. 

Gave away some really cool looking Birch Cornwalls, never seen a pair like them. New owner moved, wrapped them in double cardboard, and duct taped blankets to them. Moving company crushed multiple corners on both speakers, I still cant figure out how they did it, maybe they threw them of the truck? What a shame...

DSC01847.JPG

Gifting remorse, I gave an original copy of a Buffalo Springfield/Chambers Brothers Fillmore poster to a friend of mine. Later on I saw it on the cover of the Sotheby's rock memorabilia catalog. It went for $700+. My buddy lost the poster. C'est la vie.