KP201 Outdoor Surround Sound?

guzzo

I bought a second hand Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX 7.1 receiver, and planned to get some Klipsch speakers to make myself a little theater in the garage. The local CL frequently had posts for early 2000's reference and 90's KLF stuff. But, apparently that well has run dry, and I can't find any being sold within a drive-able range. However, I have come across a seller of a pair of KP201s. Is it possible (smart?) to build a system with these, and can they be powered with an HT Receiver? I am thinking that it would be fun to use these for 'movie night' around the pool also. I'd really like to have a couple of the big 15'' woofers too, but assume I'd need a dedicated amp, or something in addition to the Pioneer. Thoughts?

This forum helped nudge me to decide to buy my KP201s last year and it's one of the best audio decisions I've ever made. I use them in 2-channel with a Klipsch Sub 12 (Emotiva A-300 amp and Adcom GTP-500 preamp) for music and video games and they're stellar.

Mine are oak and I wouldn't want to place them outside, but if they have the more rugged commercial cabinets they'd do okay for that. I think you'd like the sound, they're tireless whether pushing huge dB or playing quietly. I'd buy them again right now if I found another good pair nearby.

They might be fussy if you use a home theater receiver, I don't like receivers in general (so I'm biased here) and if there are any gremlins in its sound that'll be all you'll hear. They'll take just about any number of watts as long as they're good watts, though.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, guzzo said:

How do the KP201s compare to KP3002s? Would they be complimentary? Should I forget an outdoor surround sound, and just go the two channel route? 

If you're doing outside movies, do surround.  For music, 2 channel is fine.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you're doing outside movies, do surround.  For music, 2 channel is fine.

I got them, hooked them up, and am very happy so far. Using them for music by the pool for now. They took all I gave them and remained clear and clean. Thank you all for your feedback.