Short of performance with RP-250S

tanthuyhoangde

I recently replaced my side surround of 2 bookshelves with 2 RP-250s. I played Star Wars and I didn't hear the surround effects of flying from front to rear or from rear to rear as with bookshelves. With RP-250s, it sounds too diffused. I having SC-91 Elite, RF-82 II and RC-62 II. Did I set it up incorrectly? Any idea?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Did you run the auto calibration again after you replaced your previous speakers?  Are you running a 7.1 channel setup or 5.1 channel?  You said side surround but you only listed a total of 5 speakers.  What were you using before?

I'm guessing it's a placement issue, they should blow away most bookshelf speakers.

Ideally they are just behind the listening position pointed at or directly behind that same listening position.

The center of the surround speaker should point at the same place as the bookshelf speakers did.

Placement imo is incredibly important for them.  Of course make sure all 4 drivers are working on each one too.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on AVS forum and many other opinions. They prefer monopole speaker since surround chanel has become a discrete channel and direct radiating speaker can reproduce most accurately recorded sound. IMO, my old junk Onkyo monopole speakers sound better than Klipsch RP-250s when placed as surround speaker

Check you Pioneer manual for proper setup.  It will have the various configurations and hybird configuration that can be use.  The speaker should be fine.  Also, make sure the Object based option is on and not Legacy for Dolby Atmos.

Tan thats not exactly the case.  Many prefer bipoles at the sides and direct fire at the back because that is dolby and thx reco.   Many like bipole for both. Your issue is placement they should be amazing.  Dont get frustrated.  Bw patient move them around until they work.  Make sure the middle points like the bookshelves did. 

I removed the two up-firing bookshelf for Dolby Atmos. I think they are the reason for distracting sounds. My system is only 5.1 now. Sounds better. I want to do 7.1 but there is no way to wire two rear surround. My home is pre-wired.

• 10 months later...

i have read that the best spot for side surrounds should be 2 to 3 feet over your ear.. can you tell me exactly where i should mount the rp-250s on the side wall to my ear..should front driver be slightly behind me or should the center of speaker be lined up with ear.. there is 2 feet behind where i sit

1 hour ago, richw said:

i have read that the best spot for side surrounds should be 2 to 3 feet over your ear.. can you tell me exactly where i should mount the rp-250s on the side wall to my ear..should front driver be slightly behind me or should the center of speaker be lined up with ear.. there is 2 feet behind where i sit

Placement guidance still requires that you test first.  Directly to the sides of the seating or back behind slightly is recommended.   A foot above ear level is a good starting point.  Maybe 2 feet above if it sounds better.  

Use boxes or stepladders....test first then install after you find the magic. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 10:27 PM, tanthuyhoangde said:

I removed the two up-firing bookshelf for Dolby Atmos. I think they are the reason for distracting sounds. My system is only 5.1 now. Sounds better. I want to do 7.1 but there is no way to wire two rear surround. My home is pre-wired.

Your room...how far away the walls are, are there open areas etc have a huge impact on surrounds.  As i mentioned in the above post you really should test placements.  Move them back a foot another foot...forward, up down.  It makes a huge difference.