Recommendations for analog EQ

50 minutes ago, Stevenarrow said:

Hello,

I am interested in adding an EQ to my hifi. I would like it to be highend and analog (my system is turntable only). I am looking for some recommendations -- I am open to new / used / vintage...

Do you have REW, Omnimic or something similar?  Trying to use a 31 band EQ'lizer is extremely difficult and time consuming without some objective info.  There is always the old smilye curve but, then you don't need a 31 band unit for that.

1 minute ago, BernardLVH said:

Also what kind of system will you be using it with? And any particular reason you feel you need an EQ?

I am using a custom Belle 2-way speaker. My amp is a Leben CS-600.

I currently don't feel I 'need' an EQ at the moment, but I would like to try one to see what my room is adding / subtracting from my sound.

Good enough reason to get one. I had a 12 band Technics when I was younger and the DBX 231 more recently. I prefer the 31 band EQ as it gives me more options.

I don't find it complicated as you don't have to use all of them, but it does give you the option. Also it's great for learning which frequencies affect which parts of your music.

You have the option to experiment a bit. My JBL Pros came with a frequency response chart which I corrected with the EQ as my base line and then corrected it for room response and personal preference from there. Great way to learn and have some fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

^they are "line" level and need to go between pre amp and amp or in a processor loop. Or between a mixing board and power amp...well you get the idea.

The Leben integrated amp has RCA "record out" > "tape in" and a "tape monitor" switch...   so, I should be able to put it in line and switch it off completely when testing.

I've been using a dbx 1231 for almost 20-years with dead silent results. For the interconnects, I had Kimber make me some Hero's with WBT-0144 RCA's on one end and their Ultraplate XLR on the other. Can't say I regret it al all.

The one I'm using has a bit of a provenance attached to it: I bought it from the guy who recorded the cash-register sounds on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". His shop is called ICB Audio in Norwood, OH just outside Cincinnati.

......shhhhhhhh.......still would like to get a Mac MEN220 one of these eons.....

11 hours ago, Stevenarrow said:

The Leben integrated amp has RCA "record out" > "tape in" and a "tape monitor" switch...   so, I should be able to put it in line and switch it off completely when testing.

That's how I always hooked mine up. Tape in/out and use the Tape monitor button.

Steve, I just picked up DBX 1231 pretty cheap off Ebay to fine tune my Cornwall's and Cornscala's. People are dumping their analog stuff it seems to go with digital signal processors. Kind of like film cameras with the proliferation of DSLR's...

There is an electronics chain down here called Sayal and the XLR to RCA adapters are about six bucks a pop. Then you can use your existing cables.

I have read if you keep the run short you should not pick up any interference. I will find out when it arrives in the next day or two.

I ALSO just snagged an Ashly Protea 3.6 ( 500 bucks on kijiji) to play around with my 2-way Cornscala's. 

Both acquisitions are a direct result of the feedback on this forum! (Special thanks to Chris A. and Mark 1101)

Same XLR to RCA adapters will work with it.

The Ashly has the ability to be used as a 31 band EQ, and SO much more. It will take a little more effort to dial it in, for sure, but I would wind up there sooner or later. Just like Lascala's or the like are an eventuallity!

The musician I bought the Ashly from just bought a Behringer X32. I have seen Electrovoice DX38's for around the same price as the Ashly - used, but in conversation after the purchase he mentioned he had used both and found the Ashly to sound better which is why he had originally bought IT.

Twenty years ago there would have been an equalizer in ANY system I was using. Loud or soft, you can make your speakers sing. I tried the purist approach and it fell short. If using an EQ means I am not an "audiophile" I can live with that. 

IMG_1367.JPG

• Like 1