Recommendations for analog EQ

5 hours ago, geoff. said:

Steve, I just picked up DBX 1231 pretty cheap off Ebay to fine tune my Cornwall's and Cornscala's. People are dumping their analog stuff it seems to go with digital signal processors. Kind of like film cameras with the proliferation of DSLR's...

There is an electronics chain down here called Sayal and the XLR to RCA adapters are about six bucks a pop. Then you can use your existing cables.

I have read if you keep the run short you should not pick up any interference. I will find out when it arrives in the next day or two.

I ALSO just snagged an Ashly Protea 3.6 ( 500 bucks on kijiji) to play around with my 2-way Cornscala's. 

Both acquisitions are a direct result of the feedback on this forum! (Special thanks to Chris A. and Mark 1101)

Same XLR to RCA adapters will work with it.

The Ashly has the ability to be used as a 31 band EQ, and SO much more. It will take a little more effort to dial it in, for sure, but I would wind up there sooner or later. Just like Lascala's or the like are an eventuallity!

The musician I bought the Ashly from just bought a Behringer X32. I have seen Electrovoice DX38's for around the same price as the Ashly - used, but in conversation after the purchase he mentioned he had used both and found the Ashly to sound better which is why he had originally bought IT.

Twenty years ago there would have been an equalizer in ANY system I was using. Loud or soft, you can make your speakers sing. I tried the purist approach and it fell short. If using an EQ means I am not an "audiophile" I can live with that. 

IMG_1367.JPG

Cool, let me know how it goes. Main thing for me is to not introduce any extra noise.

I am using this first on my 2-way Cornscala's. They are in current rotation. Lol.

Using my existing cables with the el cheapo adapters I get ZERO NOISE. That is comforting because the power switch on the DBX 1231 is on the back and when I first clicked it on the transformer hum had me worried. The engineers at DBX likely weren't when they designed this professional unit...

This EQ replaces a BBE Sonic Maximizer 422 I have had for years. A club I service had two of them and a Hafler DH 120 on the trash pile one day as I was leaving. I have enjoyed them DAILY ever since. Almost hurts to listen to my tunes with the 422 bypassed.

This "curve" tightens the bass, softens the sometimes harsh midrange (entirely dependent on the recording - ANY Dire Straights recording sounds perfect) and puts a sharpness in the cymbals that the simple bass and treble controls (+/- 5db in this case) couldn't quite etch, even with the Sonic Maximizer "in".

And Steve, I use this through the tape loop. This preamp has two if I ever want to use a tape player again - LOL!

I have never used a 31 band EQ before. Adjusting one slider ONLY with all the others flat hardly registers to me. I will be toying with this for a while.

Another feature of this EQ is the "15 or 6 db" button. I found it easier to come up with a better curve in the 15db setting. Less is more, but more sounds better at moderate levels. I guess at club levels you might punch it down to 6db of plus or minus gain from the sliders to keep drivers/amps from frying. I had managed to "Xmax" my woofers last week listening to one particularly serious bass riff CRANKED BRIEFLY to about 11 o'clock. I was pushing it hard and had my hand on the volume dial before they crackled a second time. The square magnet K-33-E's in my Cornscala's were otherwise unscathed by my riding the gain, this time...

I can't believe I wouldn't have stumbled into 31 band equalizer by now. All this purist pretention... for what? Sub par sound? I have read it hear now many times, our individual rooms account for huge variances in perceived sound.

You can also use 1/4 Phono to RCA adapters on the DBX, but I WILL be taking the Ashly Protea 3.6 for a ride soon enough so I needed the XLR adapters anyway.

Steve, go,for it!

IMG_1369.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoff. said:

That is comforting because the power switch on the DBX 1231 is on the back and when I first clicked it on the transformer hum had me worried. The engineers at DBX likely weren't when they designed this professional unit...

IMG_1369.JPG

I had that same hum in mine. I opened up the unit and put a tiny shot of Great Stuff foam insulation around the metal shield surrounding the transformer and all has been fine. Not too much though, still want to allow the transformer heat to dissipate. 

Thanks for the tip!

Stacked in the rack the hum is only noticeable up close, when I am changing discs for instance.

In fact I only noticed it last night again when I switched it off.

When my mandatory degree of OCD gets to me I have a workable option now.

That has me thinking, has anyone ever tried expanding, or non-expanding, foam on their horns to damp them? It wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure.

I have had 3 DBX 1231s.  One had the transformer mechanical hum mentioned.  Bugged the heck out of me but didn't come through the speakers.  Only mechanical hum.  What I did was remount the transformer on rubber washers and that quieted it down.  Could barely hear it after that.

The two I have now are quiet and don't have the issue right now.

I also have Ashly Protea 3.6 and 4.8.  Love those processors.

3 hours ago, Stevenarrow said:

Whats the difference between the 1231 and the 231 model?

There's one for sale locally.

From what I can see the 231 has shorter sliders and a shorter chassis. Not bad if you need the space. But I'd prefer the longer sliders.