Netflix Alternatives

YK Thom

I am unapologetically old school and seriously miss our local video stores. We had two and the last one closed a year ago. We rented movies weekly. Since then we have had Netflix and view through our Apple TV. We just don't find it particularly good. It seems to offer old movies which we have already seen. Long gone are the new release Tuesdays we looked forward to each week. Are there better options for more current movies you would recommend?

On 4/26/2017 at 10:39 PM, YK Thom said:

Thanks, I've never heard of Vudu, going to see if they are available in Canada.

I use vudu quite often. It's my favorite way to rent movies. It is about a dollar more than redbox, but you don't have to return the movie, so I feel its worth the extra buck. I don't know if Canada has the rights, but know it is through Wal Mart. They are always having sales on movies and box sets. Just go look around on their website. If you have a HD tv you can pay one amount, but if you dont mind streaming in lower quality or your tv is not HD you can pay less for the lower quality version of the movie. If I plan on buying a movie, it is on there. You can access your library from any device, whether it is a phone, tablet, computer, tv with apps or xbox/ps4, so I feel its a better option than iTunes.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2017 at 9:39 PM, YK Thom said:

If it's not available in Canada yet, you can set up a virtual private network (VPN) and use an American IP address. This usually requires a subscription but here is one I've read about on various forums that has a free 7 day trial.

https://unlocator.com/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tasdom said:

If it's not available in Canada yet, you can set up a virtual private network (VPN) and use an American IP address. This usually requires a subscription but here is one I've read about on various forums that has a free 7 day trial.

https://unlocator.com/

Thanks, I will look into this. I am finding most of the streaming services are not available here. I put it down to the restrictiveness of the CRTC which oversees broadcast (over air, sattalite and cable), 

and now foriegn internet media access. Protectionism at its "finest".

On 4/26/2017 at 8:39 PM, YK Thom said:

vudu is my suggestion as well. you have your new release rentals. current tv, basically everything missing from netflix

23 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

How is the quality of VUDU vs a Redbox blu-ray?

I have to say from my own experience Amazon and Netflix both can sound good but not as good as a blu-ray, even from Redbox. 

compressed for over air streaming. i think it's better than netflix if you have the bandwidth to back it up. visually it's really good. not sure the audio is 100% on par with blu ray though but it's improved on some movies over netflix. like netflix, not every show on vudu is perfect. big movies like rogue one play really well on there though. another cool perk is you can share some movies with other people you know for free that are in your library 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 2:56 PM, racebum said:

compressed for over air streaming. i think it's better than netflix if you have the bandwidth to back it up. visually it's really good. not sure the audio is 100% on par with blu ray though but it's improved on some movies over netflix. like netflix, not every show on vudu is perfect. big movies like rogue one play really well on there though. another cool perk is you can share some movies with other people you know for free that are in your library 

Yes the sharing feature is something I left out completely. If you are sharing with a group, whatever they add you get, and whatever you buy they get. It is a really nice deal. Plus you can upload blu rays at 4 dollars each, or dvds for a few bucks each.. I think a dollar more if you want to up it to blu ray quality. If you do 10+ dvds/blu rays at once then your price gets cut in half