Get Rid Of This Speaker VS That!!!

derrickdj1

By the way...I have found over the years that one of the BEST room treatments for annoying reflections are bookcases FULL OF BOOKS...or even multi-media storage units full of DVDs, Bluerays, CDs, etc....depending on where they are placed or SHOULD be placed.  They also tend to add SOUNDPROOFING to the room (with all those dense sound-absorbing books in them!)

Plus, nice bookcases full of nice books (my preference is leather bindings with gilt spine markings!) tend to add a "touch of class" to the listening environment, IMHO!

Wide open unused shelves in bookcases will sometimes often compound reflection issues, though!

• Like 3

On 5/9/2017 at 3:48 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

So if you throw that out, we're basically on a Klipsch page asking why anybody would want very high efficiency speakers

I'm new here; new to high-efficiency speaker designs. If I'm wrong in my statements, please correct me.

When I purchased my first-pair of "high-efficiency" speakers, it was for the purpose of listening to music at lower volume levels. [ high-efficiency translates to bass extension, clarity and detail at lower volume levels, correct? ] Previously, my 'best' speakers were full-range, single-driver Fostex, rear-loaded, quarter-wave horns... I thought these were good; I thought these were "efficient": I had no idea...

I've never experienced LS, or Khorns... ; but, my recently purchased Cornwalls have me questioning everything I thought I knew up to this point.

To re-iterate: Why anybody would want very high efficiency speakers?... How about:

Clarity and detail at lower volume. In other words, you can "hear" more, with less (engineers call this "efficiency").

On 5/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, dtel said:

We average a volume where we can talk without raising our voice, not much for speakers that weigh almost 1000 pounds and 6' wide each. It's not about spl.

Hearing "more-with-less". That's why someone might want high-efficiency speakers.

8 minutes ago, Endo said:

When I purchased my first-pair of "high-efficiency" speakers, it was for the purpose of listening to music at lower volume levels. [ high-efficiency translates to bass extension, clarity and detail at lower volume levels, correct? ] Previously, my 'best' speakers were full-range, single-driver Fostex, rear-loaded, quarter-wave horns... I thought these were good; I thought these were "efficient": I had no idea...

Endo, there a two separate but related things going on.  High-efficiency means less power for a given spl.   Driver efficiency also varies by frequency. Clarity and detail are related to the horn loading characteristic of the speaker.  The beauty of Klipsch is less power is needed to driver them, less internal heat and longer component life.

^Thank you, for the clarification. My point was, my CW's sound "better" at lower volume than any other speaker I've ever owned. I don't have the vocabulary (or knowledge) to parry with engineers. But, if anyone dare question the value of high-efficiency Klipsch designs during a time of cheap power, I will defend. I will defend.

• Like 2

This is a good thread and Derrick brings up some good points as far as newbie questions. As mentioned earlier, it's important to know the objective of the end user.

Example:

There are some that just want it loud. Period. Say they are the party group that wants to blast it away and party on! 

Then there are some that would say hey, check this out. And they turn it to ear bleeding levels for 3-5 seconds or so, and say these things rock! And never turn em back on till its time to show off again.

There are even some that just like the looks of a speaker and care less about the true sound. They just look cool. Or the name brand is cool.

Then there is the "Dad" who just wants surround sound for the family watching plain ol TV. I have had some brag about some of the commercials just because it sends sound to the rear speakers. Even the small cube speakers would make them happy.

Makes me wonder how many of the newbies are truly searching for a system that they will use for critical listening. I think knowing what kind of music they generally listen to could possibly give a hint at what "group" they fall into. I think many newbies use the term 60/40 music/HT and think that's all there is to it.

Hey, maybe someone could make a form for the newbies to fill out with the basic questions??? HA.

• Like 1