Ki-396

Coytee

The more I see, hear and think about "cinema" systems, the more convinced I become that the days of large "finished furniture" speakers are all but over.  Seriously, the tiny Klipsch I-Groove in our living room unobtrusively provides all the hi-fi needed -- but, more important, tolerated -- in that space.  Background music is its forte.

For serious music or movie audio, it's down to the cave.  The proliferation of HT makes black the new oiled walnut or oak.  Not only would I not want all the speakers in a 7.1 system to be finished wood, it would be impossibly expensive and time consuming to get matching speaker finishes.  The DIYer in me loves black, especially Duratex.  My days veneering speakers -- of which I've done many -- are in the past.

45 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm presuming you know by now, but...my understanding is the K69 has been replaced by the K691.  So, the K510 inside the 396 has the same K510 driver assembly that the Jubilee's would be using (K691 mounted on the K402)

Good move on their part.

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I'm presuming you know by now, but...my understanding is the K69 has been replaced by the K691.  So, the K510 inside the 396 has the same K510 driver assembly that the Jubilee's would be using (K691 mounted on the K402)

Yes.  I unboxed a brand new pair at the barn last weekend when setting up Jubes.

I didn't know however, that the K691 was now made by B&C and the diaphragm is titanium.

Yes.  The 396 can be EQed on the low end with some responsibility.  Just like described in the spec sheet for the KI-215.  Very slick by Klipsch.  Small packages with more potential....just have to dump in more power.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:05 AM, minermark said:

I was wondering how this would compare with my McMs bass cab.

Mark,

Kevin Harmon ended up having two KPT-684 subs and an MWM double bin in his Man Cave with his Jubilees and replaced the four 18 inch drivers and two 15 inch drivers in the MWM with a single KPT-1802 and the single1802 plays lower, louder, and cleaner than the other 3 speakers combined.

Rog

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's true, we even turned off the mwm and just used the 2 684 subs and listened for hours. Then switched out the 2 684's for the 1802, and it was not even close, much cleaner, blended better and went deeper. What shocked me the most was how much cleaner sounding the 1802 was at any volume and how much better it blended with the jubes. I would think even the 1502 could easily beat 2 684's, after hearing what the 1802 did, hard to believe I know, 1 15 beating 4 18's, but I would bet money on it. This design is that good, a ported horn, that's something completely new.

Like with most speakers direct radiators compared to a horn, the horn will have to work less and will sound cleaner and different than a DR, at the same volumes. I did not expect this much of a difference, it's not even close.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Coytee said:

Was he ever shown how to plug them in?  :o 

Richard,

In the club house at Rodneys, the four 18s were not even hooked up, and a single 1802 took their place, the day before, Kevin was running four KP-600 stacks outside, the difference was major and obvious to anyone.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 5:20 PM, Coytee said:

Would it be a rebadged B&C 75 (of which Roy has the active settings) or is it another driver?  (or do you know?)

The K-691 is in fact a rebranded B&C 75, they had them at the factory right next to each other.  They'd get inspected, then a sticker put on.  I've been told in the past that it's actually slightly modified, that the diaphram is hardened.  Also been told that a sticker simply gets put on and that's it, so I'm not sure.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 5:43 AM, Coytee said:

Yes it is the same compression driver, which is why Aaron bought a single 396 from me for a center channel between his Jubilees, and loves the results, he said it blends very nicely.  

The tri-amped Belle that I used with a Belle bass bin, K-69-A/K-510 midrange, and Beyma tweeter (crossed at 8 kHz) also blended in terms of timbre extremely well, however the apparent source width was much narrower than the Jubs. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...