Ki-396

Coytee

6 minutes ago, jwc said:

OK.  What are the driver differences?

That's a Roy question.  The 396 uses a K691 titanium 3" driver made by BNC.  The other driver is a K69A.  I really don't know anything about it.  I can say with a fair amount of certainty is that if Roy had a better sounding Pro speaker, we would have been listening to that and not the 396.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The 396 uses a K691 titanium 3" driver made by BNC

I wasn't aware of that difference of manufacturer.  I wonder if aluminum diaphragm?

DUH!  I didn't see the titanium.  The K69A I think was aluminum.

3 minutes ago, jwc said:

I wasn't aware of that difference of manufacturer.  I wonder if aluminum diaphragm?

DUH!  I didn't see the titanium.  The K69A I think was aluminum.

I don't think it's a 3" driver either (but could be wrong AGAIN).

48 minutes ago, richieb said:

You guys are Way more informed/educated on what various Klipsh models do/perform but could it be that both the 1802/1502 are Horn loaded vs. ports and use one driver - an 18 and 15 respectively?

With these two models you basically build a ported sub box then horn load the whole thing.  

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

With these two models you basically build a ported sub box then horn load the whole thing.  

I enjoyed Roy's explanation on this as I was having trouble understanding the concept.

Is the 396 tuned to 35Hz in an undersized cabinet......making the published curve drop on low end under 70hz.  Making it so a user could dump more power and eq the low end?

I'm assuming this is so.  The KI-215 is two 15" drivers in the same size cabinet and it says in the spec sheet the cabinet is tuned to 40Hz so you can EQ w/o "stress".

"""Low 40 Hz cabinet tuning allows electronic EQ to be added for extended response without undue component stress """

So if the KI-396 is also tuned this low or lower, you could throw in a PEQ at 45 Hz without much distortion.  However, I would assume you need power to do this.....not a low watt tube amp.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:08 AM, jwc said:

Why doesn't the KPT-4350-MS get any chatter?

My guess would be because it wasn't there to be heard?  (if it was, I never saw/heard it...  (I'm referring to last/prior years since I didn't attend this year))

On 5/1/2017 at 11:14 AM, CECAA850 said:

Same 510, different driver which in my opinion makes the 396.

I'm presuming you know by now, but...my understanding is the K69 has been replaced by the K691.  So, the K510 inside the 396 has the same K510 driver assembly that the Jubilee's would be using (K691 mounted on the K402)