Destination Audio 3-Way Horn Loaded speaker?

jwc

Anybody know what the story is?  These look like Jube Bass Bins.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/janas-day-3-axpona#MtKcJgDuVihQRHrF.97

After many years of experimenting, he finally created Destination Audio's eponymous three-way, fully horn-loaded speakers ($95,000/pair). And, as implied by his company's name, these are the only speakers he will ever create and sell, because he's reached his final sonic destination. Each pair takes Wisniewski and his five-man team a labor-intensive six months, so only two pairs are born a year. 

042317-Destination%20Audio-600_0.jpg?itok=DkumH6y1

• Like 1

I have never heard these and probably never will. I found their website, http://www.destinationaudio.eu/speakers.html , which lists some tech specs and more pictures, but nothing about drivers. Looks like maximum wattage is 20w. Also found a brief write up by 6moons that  at least mentions the bass bin has two (2) 15-inch Alnico woofers. And finally after having this page translated, I found these specs.

• Three-way column horn.
  • Bass: Bass Horn with 2 × 16 "woofers.
  • Central Bi-Radial horn 12 cm with compression driver.
  • Soprano: Bi-Radial horn tweeter with 44 mm.
  • Frequency range: 35 Hz - 21.5 kHz (+/- 3 dB).
  • Max. power consumption: 20 W.
  • Minimum amplifier power: 1 W.
  • Sensitivity: 106 dB (1W / 1m).
  • Nominal impedance: 8 Ω.
  • dimensions:
  • Width: 105 cm.
  • Depth: 106 cm.
  • Height: 182 cm.
  • Weight (net of the speakers): 250 kg

To be honest, these stories make me sick at my stomach... The snob appeal is revolting.

That's one of the reasons I love Klipsch so much. The engineers and staff are down to earth, real people.

Bruce

• Like 4

---- $95K? Ya think they sound 10-12 times better than Jubes?!  Smart money says"No"! And at two pair per year the price makes sense. Six guys, $190K = $31,600. Not much of a yearly income but not bad for building Two pair of speakers. I bet they have a long build que??!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Looks like a Jamboree bass bin with a Altec Mantaray horn on top.

I was thinking JBL 2360 or 2365.  I have seen another company do this exact thing, but swap out the diaphragms with Beryllium.

I agree with the above. If it really takes 5 people a full year to build two pair of cabinets, the company will quickly go broke. I also agree the horn is probably a JBL 2360. If it is, that is not JBL's best effort.

edit: taking another look, it might be an Altec. The JBL had an "extra" section on the throat that the driver bolted to. I can not see it in this picture

As far as the veneer goes, yes it is a pretty veneer and finish. However, given the cost it does not seem that attractive and your wife is sure to hate it. You will end up having an expensive veneer item "sentenced" to live down in the basement

Edited by PrestonTom
second look
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, John Albright said:

It takes 5 people 6 months to build a pair?  They must take a LOT of "smoke" breaks!

I'm assuming it must be a sideline hobby/business, the numbers don't add up for a full time enterprise.