Looks like I have a problem

dtel

• Moderators

Well while in Hope I got a used AVR, it's old but I think better than the one I had and it does have HDMI which the other did not.

So the cabinet I use to hold all the 2 ch electronics, EV DX 38, DAC,  2 D-75 amps, plus, satellite box, BR player, and AVR plus the Tv sits on top of it, it has wheels on it so today I got my grandson to help me roll it about 4' or so from the wall so I can change out the AVR's.

When we rolled it out I forgot how much wiring is back there for everything, I was shocked, I haven't  looked back there in a long time. It's ridiculous what it takes to have everything communicate with each other and have it all work the way I wanted for 2 separate setups.

So I thought I should make a public statement admitting I apparently have a audio addiction problem by looking at the back of this mess, it's obvious.  :unsure: It's a miracle I don't have a single hum or buzz from this bird nest of cables ?

And I didn't even count all the dust back there, that's a whole other problem, since everyone refuses to even dust anything around this stuff so this also is on me, no one to blame but me. 

speakers-2.JPG

speakers-1.JPG

• Like 3

dtel,

Love the outlet strip that appears to be floating in thin air:P Did you take your glasses off cuz you did not want to see back there either?

If you're going to disconnect and clean I suggest a hook up diagram even if just simple and basic.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes the dust is a problem, Christy refuses to touch any of it, that dust was there to catch future dust. :blush:

I have some of it labeled, but not the biggest part, great idea. I have to take off the glasses to take a pic, looks out of focus even with my glasses, don't know what I did ?

I really didn't want to see back there but had no choice, HDMI will fix some of it for the AVR anyway, I'm hoping. 

A diagram is a good idea especially for the stray wires like for a on screen display some things use, or where I ran a wire in case I wanted to listen to something off the sat box which is rare, I just kept adding on, that's how it got like this. Maby the HDMI will fix some of this, for the first time ever I am going to try the video signals going into the receiver then to the TV. I never did that before thinking it would degrade the picture but the AVR says it does 1080p, we will see. If I don't like the way it looks I'll have to rethink how everything will connect, plus if it does not pass through the video signal without the AVR being on I will have to change it. 

But I guess I can't complain, it's 2 ch and a separate setup for multi channel all in one space, it just takes alot of wires.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, babadono said:

Love the outlet strip that appears to be floating in thin air:P

When we added on I ran two different circuits back there, both setups are separated and the one for 2 ch for some reason I hung it from the back of the cabinet, don't remember why ? I also had to have anything that went into the wall extra long so I could roll out the cabinet, plus the 2 ch wires going out to the speakers. 

Can you tell I don't buy high priced wires ? :) That black cloth than is on the bottom and behind electronics is because there are windows right to the side of the stand and the light shining through aggravated me.

I definitely have never tried what some call wire management, no patience for that, just lucky I guess that I don't have any noise with any of it, good thing. 

• Moderators

Christy won't touch it because of all of her allergies and lung issues, not to mention the fact that I have no clue what I'm looking at anyway. Those of you that saw me this past week...need I say more???

Lord forbid if I accidentally disconnected something while dusting, I would never hear the end of it. 

• Like 4

Don't forget where you left your glasses. You might not find them for another ten years.  B)

(pic #1)

+++

When I finally upgraded from 2 chan to 5.1 the one feature I really wanted was HDMI.  Forget the legacy RCA type connectors.  I did not want all those cables and HDMI was a dream come true for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Things are perfectly fine.  It is all hidden, lol.  Even the dust.:ph34r:

I like the way you think, it's exactly what I have been doing.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Don't forget where you left your glasses. You might not find them for another ten years.  B)

I don't have a choice, I need them to see anything close or small, it wouldn't take long before I need them.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Christy, just take some wire cutters, snip them all & toss them.  That will clean it up real good like!  (as in 'Bigly')

He won't mind, trust me.

<_<

She wouldn't be happy, even using regular wires, it would add up replacing them, with additions. 2 ch would have to be quickly fixed.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:27 PM, dtel said:

Well while in Hope I got a used AVR, it's old but I think better than the one I had and it does have HDMI which the other did not.

So the cabinet I use to hold all the 2 ch electronics, EV DX 38, DAC,  2 D-75 amps, plus, satellite box, BR player, and AVR plus the Tv sits on top of it, it has wheels on it so today I got my grandson to help me roll it about 4' or so from the wall so I can change out the AVR's.

When we rolled it out I forgot how much wiring is back there for everything, I was shocked, I haven't  looked back there in a long time. It's ridiculous what it takes to have everything communicate with each other and have it all work the way I wanted for 2 separate setups.

So I thought I should make a public statement admitting I apparently have a audio addiction problem by looking at the back of this mess, it's obvious.  :unsure: It's a miracle I don't have a single hum or buzz from this bird nest of cables ?

And I didn't even count all the dust back there, that's a whole other problem, since everyone refuses to even dust anything around this stuff so this also is on me, no one to blame but me. 

speakers-2.JPG

speakers-1.JPG

You should ask the wife to dust behind your equipment when she's done washing the dishes. But ask her from a distance so you have a better chance to avoid flying objects.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, dtel said:

speakers-2.JPG

speakers-1.JPG

I thought you were going to say "I can not find my glasses" (top pic) :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Peter P. said:

You should ask the wife to dust behind your equipment when she's done washing the dishes. But ask her from a distance so you have a better chance to avoid flying objects.

That would be a shock to her since I do all the dishes. :o The reason I do them all is because I do all the cooking so I keep up the kitchen, when I go to cook I don't want anything in the sink so I can clean as I go. 

The reason I cook, I love it and like to add alot of seasoning, and mostly because I love to eat and try different things, also part of the reason for the size of my gut. :(

But she would do it if asked, the dishes anyway, I doubt she would dust the stereo stuff, she refuses to even learn how to turn it on. :wacko:

5 hours ago, Davis said:

I thought you were going to say "I can not find my glasses" (top pic) :D

I rarely misplace them, only because I need them so often, it's part of the reason i was messed up last week in Hope. We got in town, I got out the car walked 30' and knocked on Roy's door, he answered and hugged me, I forgot my glasses were hanging on a strap around my neck and got broken, both ear pieces broke off. I was not in town 3 minutes. And of course I forgot to put my good glasses in my camera bag this time, but it's all good, we had a good time, glad I didn't need to read anything. 

Too funny.  You've definitely got some wiring going on behind the scenes.  All you need is a Shop Vac with a soft bristle brush, or a big arse Swiffer.  My wife is the same way with any of the audio wares.  I'm cleaning them and she wants nothing to do with them.  I try and help with the dishes and such but she just tells me to get out of the way.  I'm too slow, I don't load the dishwasher right, etc., etc.  I'm not really complaining though.

• Moderators

I should have just used a blower and moved the dust to an area she does clean, problem solved, except for getting in trouble.

But really years ago when we added on that room it 24' wide and 18' deep open to another 16' in depth for the kitchen and dining room. We finished with the drywall and I had what seemed like a good idea at the time. Put some fans in the windows and doors and blow out all the drywall dust with a blower, not a good idea. It did blow out the biggest part but at the same time it spread it everywhere, even inside the kitchen cabinets on everything. it took a week to take everything out and clean it all up, it was everywhere, never again. She was not impressed or happy at all.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 4:03 PM, dtel said:

Yes the dust is a problem, Christy refuses to touch any of it, that dust was there to catch future dust. :blush:

I have some of it labeled, but not the biggest part,

So which part of the dust is labeled? 

• Moderators

That's true and a little scary. After everything we all go through to get the sound we like, a few wires are way down on the list of problems, even with as much as no one really likes that part of the hobby.