Got Upgrade Itis Again

edison

1 hour ago, tanthuyhoangde said:

I can feel your concern. I used to have Onkyo-636. One day I walked around in Frys and I found a unit of Pioneer Elite SC-91 on clearance. I immediately jumped into the deal. The difference in performance is quite distinct. Some say you don't need more powerful receiver since Klipsch is very sensitive, but IMO it does matter.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

A lot of times, it is not more power but, better room control offered in higher line avr's.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:45 PM, edison said:

I'll swap the LF with the sub when I get home. Moving the RF outbound will mean moving that chair but that will net me about four more feet separation between my mains. This would also let me move the second sub to the front, or should I let it stay at the rear of the room. My bass seems okay after moving one sub to the front.
I appreciate all the suggestions.

Tweaks are a lot less expensive than new equipment, although that option remains open.

Agree. Do some tweaks first, it costs you nothing and I think there is room for improvement.  I agree moving the chair that is right front will help with the sound.  Move the L/R to the outside a bit then toe them in.  See how you like the sound.

+++

Spending your money:  I want to be clear, I have not heard the Reference Premier nor the Reference II speakers.  In general, the Reference II are the Klipsch TOTL and the RC-64 is a Klipsch classic.  That is what I was basing my opinion on. 

Also in general, I find that changing speakers makes a bigger difference in sound than upgrading the amps, or in your case, AVR.  That's why I suggested swapping speakers first, then AVR's.

Maybe if you put out the word there is someone nearby who could let you hear their setup.

Okay, gentlemen, I took your advice and moved my speakers outward.  Now they're about nine feet apart.  Subjectively, the sound is better at my main listening position (okay, it's my easy chair).  It is better even though I haven't run my receiver's audio processing program yet.  I spent about two hours after moving the speakers listening to a wide variety of music just to get a feel for the difference. Most music seemed to open up more (can't think of a better way to describe it)and just seemed fuller. I can truly say everything sounded better. Still not happy with some recordings, but I think that's probably from the way they were recorded (compression effects perhaps). 

590e3fc41c908_Speakerswide.jpg.714ef6e7ff11465f9c72b55646b9a861.jpg590e3ff0be618_Speakersnarrow.jpg.6d5e6f8dacb93db34a86ce58cb9f491e.jpg

I wish I could move my chair closer.  There seemed to be a sweet spot about half way up the room where there was a noticeable difference in the sound.  I mean everything sounded better at my chair, but boy was it better at that spot.  It wasn't deep.  I spent a lot of time just bicycling back and forth to pinpoint that area. 

I think I appreciate my speakers more after moving them outward.  I think I'll be satisfied for a while. Still, when the RF7-IIIs come out, I might be tempted.  The IIIs wil look just like my RP280s so the wife won't notice a difference.  <BSEG>

At some point I'd like to rearrange the furniture to put the TV and speakers on the long wall instead of the short wall.  That's a project for another day, however.  Have to work on the wife for a while.

Thanks again, all those replied.

edison

• Like 1

Hello again.  Just a few more questions regarding my setup.  I finally had a chance to re-run the speaker setup program on my TX-NR636 and I don't think I like the suggested parameters.

Apparently the program wants to set my RP280s as large.

Front            40 Hz

Center          40 Hz

Surrounds    50 Hz

LPF of LFE   80 Hz

Distance to MLP (speakers are a full 10' apart now)

FL          14.9'

Center   14'

FR         15.2

Sur R      7.7'

Sur L      8.0'

Subs       15.8'

Level Calibration

FL          +4 dB

Center    +4 dB

FR          +4 dB

Sur R      +3 dB

Sur L      +3 dB

Subs       -15 dB

This seems counter-intuitive to everything I've read.  I understand my mains can reach down to 40 Hz, but when set that way the subs don't even come on for much of my content.  When I set the LCR to 70 Hz I see the subs kick in a lot sooner.  Am I correct in assuming that I want the subs to do more of the work and the mains less work below 80 Hz.  Would I be better off setting my mains to 80 Hz, or just leave them where they are.  That -15 dB on the sub calibration seemed awfully low so I raised it to -12 dB.

adjusted3.jpg.289ee17212f977950c8bf492c47c554d.jpg

I also brought my second sub to the front (not an easy task with a torn rotator cuff).  It filled in the space left when I moved my right speaker outbound.  I know, sound trumps aesthetics, but I've got to look at them and I convinced my wife this was a much better look.  She was not happy with two huge boxes sitting in plain sight in her living room. <g>

This tweaking is fun!

edison

You can use a XO of 70 ot 80 Hz for all speakers.  The gain on the sub is to high.  That is why auto EQ is setting the sub to -15.    Lower the gain to get near -5 db.  It also sounds like you have the auto/on feature activated.  Just turn the sub on and leave it on all the time.  It won't make the electric bill go up.  It is annoying having it keep clicking in and out during movies.

• Like 1

You can use a XO of 70 ot 80 Hz for all speakers.  The gain on the sub is to high.  That is why auto EQ is setting the sub to -15.    Lower the gain to get near -5 db.  It also sounds like you have the auto/on feature activated.  Just turn the sub on and leave it on all the time.  It won't make the electric bill go up.  It is annoying having it keep clicking in and out during movies.

Got it! Turned down the gain and got it to 5. Turned the subs on full time. Sometimes I do listen. [emoji3] Next to work on the surrounds. They were left over from an earlier Klipsch R-26 system.
Thanks to all who responded. My system sounds a helluva lot better.
edison

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great to hear that things are sounding better, nothing better than rearranging for improvement vs buying more.

Moving that chair helped the low end with that right speaker because plush chairs will suck it up!  Also, being near corners helps especially in the low end.  

Almost nobody except for enthusiasts understand how much time and effort went into setting up a room/theater.