'78 HWO pair - Waukesha

-js-

no affiliation.  wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a good looking pair of HWO like this.  says they are 1978.  shows consecutive serial #'s, and grain match is just about breathtaking.

few nicks, gouges, chips - none that I noticed. opening bid looks like $0.99; current bid $384.

linky

hwo-1a.jpg

hwo-2a.jpg

hwo-3a.jpg

12 hours ago, mungkiman said:

I'd rather see wood grain run up one side of each speaker, across the top, and then down the other side. This Heresy pair seems to have continuous grain across both tops, but why?

@HDBRbuilder - Wasn't this during your tenure?

In those days, the matched pre-veneered panels for Heresys actually had one top (or bottom) and one side cut from them, meaning they arrived in four long panels prior to cross cutting and rear edge length ripping to proper depth of the boxes (the panels also came pre-veneered on the front edges).  MOST OFTEN everything matched up just right from the centerline of the book-matched outer fine veneer, but not always.  I was often pulled to build the mitered Heresys when we had lots of orders to fill, PROVIDED I was way ahead of the game on the birch Heresys (which I normally was!).  But after the pneumatic clamping boxes were installed (first one and then a second one), by the time they pulled me over to that side of the woodshop, I was MOST OFTEN building them using chain/binder corner clamps, because the pneumatic box clamps were already were in use by other builders.  The chains slowed down production a bit in numbers built per day, but I was normally able to keep up with a pneumatic builder simply because I could use my eyes to align the centers of the miters from the outside, while they were having to do the same thing by using THEIR eyes to check alignment from the heel end of the miter joint INSIDE the box, and had to FEEL for perfect alignment for the toe of the miter at the outside of the cabinet.  The biggest advantage of the pneumatic box clamps was that it made everything AFTER the miter alignment go faster...glue blocks, and such because the pneumatic box clamp spun on its center axis, whereas the chain clamps required lifting and rotating the box by hand.  The chain clamps had the advantage of being adjustable for tension, whereas the pneumatic clamping did not...depending on the amount of "bow" in the panels, excessive "bow" was difficult to overcome in the pneumatic clamping whereas with the chains it was a simple adjustment of tension....back off the tension, get the corners aligned, then add tension slowly as you "tap out" the bow from the inside...and get the glue blocks in as rapidly as possible while the miters remained aligned and tight.  So I would knock much more of them out before than lunch than I could after lunch because all the lifting and rolling tired me out more.  Mounting the motorboard was the same for both types of clamping..so time used for it was about the same.