Questions for 4K BD player owners.

teknoid

Have you purchased any older movies that have been "remastered" to 4K? If so what was your experience with them? Is there a noticeable improvement over the BD version?

I've been browsing Amazon's selection of 4K discs and I'm seeing a lot of my favorites that have been remastered to 4K. In particular movies along the line of: Men In Black, Ghostbusters, Independence Day, Labyrinth, the Bourne films, the Star Trek films, and the Star War films. The prices for the 4K versions range from reasonable to stupidly cheap.

The reason for the questions is that in the I was an early Blu-ray adopter. As soon as Blade Runner was "remastered" to BD I paid an obscene amount of $$ to have one of the first copies. After all it IS probably my all time favorite move. To say that I was disappointed with the BD version would be and understatement. It was better than the DVD that I already had but only marginally so.

I'm trying to not experience a repeat of that disappointment. If the 4K remasters of older movies aren't a significant improvement over the BD versions I'll just keep my $$ in the bank. The list of movies that I have bought more than once as formats advanced is VERY long.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Jeff,

I can't speak for older 4K BD movies but will say that "Hacksaw Ridge" in 4K HDR is ridiculous.  The colors, the clarity, the sound.

Unless the the older 4K BD's are priced "right", why spend the extra $$$ if you already have 1080P BD copies.  I just started watching the 1080P BD "Planet Earth II" played through my Oppo 105 upscaled to 4K to my Samsung 65" UN65KS9500 and all I can say is WOW.  How well does you Oppo 203 upscale to 4K?

Bill

I'm not sure if I really notice the 4k resolution in the remastering, but I'm buying several UHD remasters for the surround soundtrack. ID4, chappie, and several others have an atmos soundtrack on the UHD version.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, this is close to the topic....

if you want the newest TV that has "HDR" you might want to consider this....

you first need that new HDR tv....

then you need a processor that will pass it though....my Emotiva UMC-1 wont, or the UMC200....you need the NEW MC-700...(or AVR, if you are not into separates)

then you need an HDR bluray player....the NEW XBox One S is the CHEAPEST at $250, but the OPPO is $550....

finally, you need certified HDR HDMI cables.  thankfully Monoprice has them pretty cheap, but the specific cables i bought a few years ago from them, have HDR problems.  problems as in, the picture is BLACK! no video out at all! i bought the super cool micro cables that are really flexible and easy to route.

i wasn't into HT when HDMI first hit, but this is the whole analog vs hdmi issue when it first came out.  people who had thousands vested in their system had to completely start over to get all the hdmi benefits.  now, it's the new HDR "upgrade".